HybridZ

Colorsanding question for RacerX

scott19

RacerX,

I'm at the colorsanding point now. I did a search on the subject, and found a post that you wrote. In it, you recommended using 3M Perfect-It II rubbing compound with a wool pad to start the polishing, and then follow up with a polishing compound on a foam polishing pad.

After visiting the paint store this morning, I ended up with:

1.)3M Perfect-It 3000 (part #06060) Extra Cut Rubbing Compound

and

2.)3M Perfect-It 3000 (part #06064) Swirl Mark Remover.

I got these on the recommendation of the store guys. Will these do the job, or have I made a mistake? the #6064 is supposed to be real good for black paint...

Also, I don't have access to the type of buffer that uses the pad with the screw in the middle. All I have is a Black & Decker 8" electric buffer that uses the tie-on type pads. If I cannot find tie-on wool and foam pads, can I get by using the terry cloth type?

Thanks once again for all your help!

If you wish to try it yourself, at least get the foam pads, as RacerX stated. It is difficult or impossible to get the swirls out with the terry cloth pads.

A cheap buffer like:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=92623

is better than the tie on type you have.

Of course, I am a novice, so this is only what I can offer.

Thanks guys, I knew y'all would come through. I'll stop by a couple of places tonight to see if I can locate a better buffer.

I don't mind the labor of the colorsanding, just the cost! Those two bottles of 3M stuff I referred to above are $35 a quart! Ouch! This paint job is nickel and diming me to death!