HybridZ

opinion on brake set-up

You might do a search. A least have a dozen members have that brake kit on their car. All of them love it. Only real knock, beside the price, is the rotors need to be turned after installation to eliminate a bit of shimmy, no dust seals on the calipers and no parking brake. Dust seals probably don't matter and the parking brake is a matter of personal choice. But many people claim significantly improved track performance with that set up.

Arguably the best brake kit availiable for a Z.

Actually I was looking into this and the Wilwood site says you don't need to turn the rotors. It says that runout should be measured with a dial indicator, and if there is a high spot than a shim should be added between the hat and rotor of the closest bolt. I think I'd just turn them, but that was the "official" word.

FYI... I have wilwoods front and rear. Just wanted to let you know you'll lose your mechanical emergency brake. They have hydralic but you'll have to route brake lines inside your car.

I think my clutch started slipping because I was putting my car in gear while I was parked in the driveway or hill. All because I lost my emergency brake.

FYI... I have wilwoods front and rear. Just wanted to let you know you'll lose your mechanical emergency brake. They have hydralic but you'll have to route brake lines inside your car.

I think my clutch started slipping because I was putting my car in gear while I was parked in the driveway or hill. All because I lost my emergency brake.

I thought that, that would hurt your clutch. I had a friend with an olde school manual Bug and used the parking brake. One night it was raining and he parked with the hand brake as usual and the next morning the hand brake was stuck, it rusted tight and wouldn't move untill we removed the brake drums and smacked the thing with a sledge hammer. after that he always just put it in gear to park and no problems sinse.

the car is only gonna be for weekends so I don't think that it will matter all that much. The rest of the time it will be parked in the garage

I mainly use mine for the weekends. You'd be suprise how much of a pain not having a parking brake. My clutch started slipping not to long after I started putting in gear when parking.

I don't see how leaving a car parked and in gear can affect the clutch. Nothing is moving, nothing is slipping, what could wear out?

I have been driving manual transmission cars for over 30 years and have yet to replace a clutch on any of them. IMO leaving the car in gear is the only safe way to park them. To do anything else makes no sense to me.

I agree with PopnWood

Nothing is moving, and the only way a clutch will start slipping is if YOU are slipping it too much. i.e. Holding the car on a hill in gear by slipping the clutch, Dropping the clutch from high rpms several times, resting your foot on the clutch as you drive in gear... etc.

bimmer man... say you did carry something to put behind the tire. Would you just leave it there when you drove off?