HybridZ

17x8" +35 WHEELS SIZE OF SPACER NEEDED?

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

Before Anyone Jumps Down My Throat About Searching, I Have. Its Just Increased My Confusion And I Have Been Looking At Various Threads Over The Past Month.

My Current Setup Is:

1972 240z

Stock Struts With Tokico Springs

Toyota Vented Fronts 4-lug

240sx Rear 4-lug

I'm Looking At Trading For A Set Of 5zigen Fn01r-c 17x8 +35mm Wheels Because They Are Light And Cheap. My Question Is Can I Get These To Fit On The Stock Setup (struts/fenderwells) W/ 245/40r17 Tires? If I Can What Size Spacer Is Needed?

Currently I'm Building Some 280z Housing Coilovers That Will Be Shortend 1.5"f/ 2.5"r With Hz3099 Front Struts/ Hz3012 Rear Struts, Mm Coilovers 150/200 Springs. If I Have To Use These What Size Spacer Would Be Needed?

Thanks For Your Help... In The Meantime I'll Continue Searching.

Christian,

They also make FNO1RC in 9jj +15, or 10jj +12...

I've seen 8jj +0, looked fresh. A little fender rolling, possibly a little more negative camber.

So with a 15 mm spacer you'll have an effective offset of +1. Not bad.

What's the spec on the mesh wheels you have now? They look good.

Better with spacers, of course.

No offense, but I really don't think those wheels would look good on an S30...

But function wise...They work!!!!

Remeber....Pit house! haha

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

Current wheels are 15x7" 0 offset enkie knock offs. They look good but not really big enough for the power output, traction gets hairy in the top of first and second at the strip... I just want to get a good base platform plus I can get them in a trade for things I don't need.

"Isn't about 0 offset correct for 8 inch wide wheels on a 240z."

Probably not mate, i just recently went out and got a set of 17 x 8" rims with a 6+ offset, i have changed my brakes and increased the front track by 8mm + a side,

So a 6+ offset for my car is the eqvilant of using a wheel with a -2 offset,

Not exactly zero offset, but pretty darn close, and this is the end result with 235/45-17 tyres,

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=4379&cat=500&page=1

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=4380&cat=500&page=1

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=4381&cat=500&page=1

As you can see the wheels poke past the guards, but there is a good 10mm worth of clearance between the spring perches and the rims though :-), im going to have to use flares i think.............or lip the guards

clifton what offset are those? and does daves brakes change the offset along with lug pattern?

My fronts are 17x8 with a 22mm offset. Daves 5 lug front hubs push the mounting surface out .500" too. The 4 lug kit doesn't. I run the 5 lug. There is no way a 35mm offset will work on a stock hub. Even a 22mm would need to be spaced a little if on a stock Z hub. You would need a 1" spacer to get them to sit were mine do in the fender if using an S30 hub. I would pass on them.

Isn't about 0 offset correct for 8 inch wide wheels on a 240z. If so wouldn't you need a 35mm thick spacer to achieve that... Maybe i missed something?

This is how I had my adapter made. I wanted the wheels closes to the edge without sticking out. Basically almost flush with the fender. It makes the car look more agressive (to me). I had to roll my fender for extra clearance.

30mm spacers is what I would get - incase you decide to go with 0 camber and oversize tires.

I'd get the rims first, do the measurements for the adapters.

Guest PROJECTRB240SX
My fronts are 17x8 with a 22mm offset. Daves 5 lug front hubs push the mounting surface out .500" too. The 4 lug kit doesn't. I run the 5 lug. There is no way a 35mm offset will work on a stock hub. Even a 22mm would need to be spaced a little if on a stock Z hub. You would need a 1" spacer to get them to sit were mine do in the fender if using an S30 hub. I would pass on them.

So from simple math and logic, your setup is a ~+12mm with 10mm more in board wheel than a stock setup 15x7 wheel.

For me to get the +35mm wheel to work I would have to get a 25mm spacer.... Which should be fine on all accounts because that spacer is smaller than the MM spacer (I believe). If my math is flawed let me know but Thats where I'm going to start (borrow spacers from a buddy) then I'll make changes when they are on the car.

Yes, 25mm/1 inch. You could go 30-32mm/1.250" in the front. I eneded up lenthgening my LCA's 10mm and I still don't rub. There is less clearance in the rear. I wouldn't go more than 25mm there. You will need adapters not spacers. They run about $200. That's why I wouldn't do it. You could convert with J/Y parts to 5 lug and run 9's in the rear. Sell your old Toy brakes and not be in the hole too much. AIM has adapters pretty cheap and different thicknesses too.

A positive offset is in mm how far from center of the wheel the hub attaches in the outside of the car direction. Thus a 8mm spacer or 8mm track on both sides would push the connecting point out +8mm and the +6mm offset would add to that making +14mm total explaining why it sticks out. What you need to get a -2 offset overall with that +8mm track would be a -10mm offset on the wheel.

Guest PROJECTRB240SX
A positive offset is in mm how far from center of the wheel the hub attaches in the outside of the car direction. Thus a 8mm spacer or 8mm track on both sides would push the connecting point out +8mm and the +6mm offset would add to that making +14mm total explaining why it sticks out. What you need to get a -2 offset overall with that +8mm track would be a -10mm offset on the wheel.

so technically a +35mm offset pushes the wheel 35mm inwards., if I counteract that with a 25mm spacer the offset will in reality be only 10mm because I widend my track by 25mm on each corner.

Guest PROJECTRB240SX
"Isn't about 0 offset correct for 8 inch wide wheels on a 240z."

Probably not mate' date=' i just recently went out and got a set of 17 x 8" rims with a 6+ offset, i have changed my brakes and increased the front track by 8mm + a side,

So a 6+ offset for my car is the eqvilant of using a wheel with a -2 offset,

Not exactly zero offset, but pretty darn close, and this is the end result with 235/45-17 tyres,

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=4379&cat=500&page=1

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=4380&cat=500&page=1

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=4381&cat=500&page=1

As you can see the wheels poke past the guards, but there is a good 10mm worth of clearance between the spring perches and the rims though :-), im going to have to use flares i think.............or lip the guards

So, from your pictures and information a ~+8mm total offset would clear the stock perches and sit inside the wheel arches. A +10mm as planned would require coilovers and have quite abit of clearance between the tire and coils.

Ughh major brain fart when posting this. Sorry tonycharger is right. the equation is

Offset - Spacer/Added track = Overall

Sorry im an idiot. Now i think this is right, i just got my +/- confused for offsets yar going nutz :icon8:

rudypoochris,

Took me a while to figure out exactly what was going to happen to the offset/track on the front of my car aswell :-),

PROJECTRB240SX,

"So, from your pictures and information a ~+8mm total offset would clear the stock perches and sit inside the wheel arches. A +10mm as planned would require coilovers and have quite abit of clearance between the tire and coils."

mmmmmm...........well, i dont have an 8mm offset, i have about a -2 offset on the fronts (because of my change in hubs) and a 6+ offset on the rears,

But at the moment i have about 10-15mm worth of clearance on the inside between the tyres/rims and the struts, but my wheels/tyres poke about

20-25mm past the guards, so in answer to your question an +8mm offset on an 8" rim should just clear the spring perches, even a +10mm offset would, but this would soke up about 10-12mm worth of wheel/tyres that is poking past the guards, so you would end up with still atleast 10mm approx worth of wheel/tyres that go past the guards,

As you can see from my pics and my measurements there is really no way in hell you are going to be able to put an 8" rim on the front of a zed with stock OD springs and stock guards,

You can see that there is clearance between the tyres and the springs of about 10-15mm, when i spoke to ROH and Simmons wheels they said this is about the distance i should aim for, so probably not such a good idea to increase the positive wheel offset and reduce this clearance,

So you are left with a wheel which pokes past the guards by somewhere between 20-25mm,

Because of my different hubs my offset is -2mm, which is pretty close to a zero offset, my pics show that a zero offset on an 8" rim aint gonna fit the front of a stock bodied/suspensioned zed

• 3 weeks later...
Guest PROJECTRB240SX

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I was looking at a post from John C about using a straight sidewall tire for the best control and handling. So I was looking at using 245/45r17 tires all around, which would mean I need a 17x9" wide wheel. So I waswondering if anyone has fit a 9" wide wheel upfront with coilovers and stock fenders?

I've looked at a few pictures of 7" wide and 8" wide wheels up front and it looks to have significant room with coilovers and proper BS but I don't know if its enough for a 9" wide wheel and tire.

Sorry for any redundant posts and/or newbishness but I'm just trying to learn.

Thanks!