HybridZ

Long Cv Shaft?

v80z

I orderrered new 79-81 280zxt cv shafts for my upgrade. Only the passenger side came in. I spent the weekend, and a few hours with synlube, thanks doug, testing fitment with cygnusx1's cv adapters.

I could not achieve fitment. The cv shaft had the longer diff stub and it went into the passenger side.

After many attempts at fitment with the adapter I finally took the adapter off and put the rear suspension in place with the cv shaft inserted into the diff. I founf out that I could not compress the cv shaft enough to line it up with the stock inner wheel hub.

The cv shaft when fully compressed is about 22 inches. THAT IS ITS SHORTEST LENGTH!!. I looked at Terry OXandale photos and his shafts laying relaxed are 21-23 inches. I am trying to confirm that the replacement cv shaft that I recieved is too long.

These were orderred through autzone form the reman company cardone. $79.00 plus core

I also have another cv shaft it is about 18- 19" fully compressed and works well. But it is in such bad shapeI can only use it for a core. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

I thought the adapters were for the later model zxt shafts as well, and you might have to pull the spindlepin from the strut housing to swing it out enough to get it bolted on, also if your ordering them from autozone you might try 2 of the shorter shafts (passanger side?) if I recall correct

In all my dealings with the aftermarket community in regards to these half-shafts, I found one thing clear and true. They only offer one part number (they do not differentiate between left and right sides), which means: 1) You'll only get one side for both pieces, or 2) you may get either a left, or right, or if your luck, both.

With the special carrier I've got, I cannot use the bulk rebuilder's axles. But then again, after the issue of a single part number, I felt I couldn't anyway. This, plus my "build it if I can" mentality has led me to my Porsche 930 axle assembly build-up. Even though the 280 ZXT axles I have are still good (same set I've used since the early '90s with no failure), I was hoping to prepare a rebuilt set to put aside for future spares, but until I find a rebuilder that will rebuild the set I send them, and return the same set, I'll go another route.

I am using ORIGINAL Nissan CV shafts from an early 80's ZX Turbo with my adapters. I did have to compress them pretty far but not all the way to their limits to use them in my 76Z with the stock R200-3.54. I used a long one and a short one...a matched left and right side pair.

I also found that the easiest way to get them in and out was to drop the inner control arm and swing it out.

When you finally get it all bolted up, use lock-tite blue and high-grade bolts.

Yep. My 280ZXT shafts have about 1/2" of compressibility left in them as installed on the BlueovalZ (using the ZXT companion flanges). Being the nub (spring housing) on the end of the shafts are longer than that, you will not be able to compress the shaft in order to slip it onto the companion flange (but I am puzzeled in that I thought these adapters/companion flanges were made to be shorter than the ZXT companion flanges, and thus allow some extra room for the axle to move in and out).

Cygnusx

When you say early what do you mean? 79 - 81 ? I made the adapters 1" thick. I have original 77 280x companion flanges. It would not work. The cv shaft would not fit between the diff and the companion flange.

Terry

those pics of your zxt shafts show they are relaxed" not compressed" and a length in the 21 -22 inche range. The shaft I got from cardone was 21" fully compressed. I think the got it wrong.

Does anyone have any sources for good 280zxt cv shafts?

I'm confused... There was no 280ZX Turbo in '79 and '80. The Turbo model was introduced in '81. And as far as I know, there is only one version of the 280ZX Turbo CV axles, and they were only available from '81 to '83.

Nigel

'73 240ZT

I did not pull the shafts out of the car. I bought them used but they were original, unrebuilt, 81-83 Turbo ZX shafts. I think that cardone must have given you an aftermarket, generic, shaft that fits other cars including the ZX...but not a modded Z :-( I would see if I could return it, get some used originals. Even the originals go in tight, but they go in. You need to drop the inner ctrl arm and swing the stub axle in and out to get them in easy. It's not difficult.