HybridZ

stock wastegate hybrid turbo no more boost

ZR8ED

As the title says.

I'm trying to get 15psi from my hybrid turbo, and I'm having troubles now that I put on the 3" exhaust. At 2.5" I could easily get 15psi of boost. It would actually spike 17 in higher gears and settle into 15.

I have my manual boost controller turned all the way, and it is not hitting 15psi. I can spike 14 but settles into 12psi in 3rd gear.

I assume that I have increased the flow so much that my wastegate can't hold itself shut? Am I going to have to put a helper spring on my actuator arm? My boost controler is made by TurboSmart and has been on the car for a few years now. Electrically the car has been verified (harness and sensor check last week) The car runs strong, and my air/fuel ratio is near 11:1 at WOT...(I'm still tuning the afr's. High 12's and low 13's while driving. Timing is stock at 20 degrees. FP at about 27 at idle (vac pulled and plugged)

List:

1989 VG30ET engine

t3/t4 hybrid turbo

SVO injectors

modded ecu

3" ss mandrel downpipe to the muffler

jacobs ignition.

IMO manual boost controllers with internal WG's just doesn't work good unless you are adding only a few psi. I have always used a stiff helper spring. Attach it to a threaded rod and make it adjustable and loose the MBC. Your boost will never spike or drop off at higer rpms again.

High 12's low 13's is way rich for cruise. FP is low too.

I dunno if this is similare to what your expiriencing, but I ported out my wastegate hole to use it with 1.25" puck. I ported out the wg hole from 7/8" to 1 1 1/8". Once this was done I could only boost to about 8psi, it would just blow the wastegate right open. I had to add a spring like you mentioned to the wg actuator.

That being said I hat internal wastegates and i want to go external. Maybe one of those things will fall from the sky.

Oh I also use mine with a greddy profec B specII

-Austin

Several things to think about:

Do you have enough preload on the wastegate actuator? Is it a dual port actuator? If you can't make boost then you may be leaking exhaust around the turbo through a partially open flapper valve assembly.

It is very possible you have a boost leak on your IC piping. Check all of your silicone couplers to make sure they are overlapping the hard pipe and that they are not torn. Seen this happen many times.

Unplug the line to the actuator and it should see mega boost. Just do a short run in 2nd gear to see if boost spikes past the desired 14psi. If it does then you have issues with the manual boost controller.

There are only a finite number of things it can be. It will not be related to the fact that you went to a larger exuast.

I run a modified internal wastegate and although it's not nearly as good as an external wastegate I think it does an acceptable job. I enlarged the port, installed an electronic boost controller and modified the original mount for a higher pressure actuator. Take a look at these.

http://www.turboengineering.com/miscellaneous_accessories/actuators.html

Ahh good thing its sorted now :D But as mentioned by 240Z Turbo, duel port actuator how the hell does this work? I might have the same issue as ZR8ED soon when I turn up my boost (different turbo, internal gate etc with 3" exhaust). I did get 18psi on a spike once but thats cause I had it setup wrong.

dual port wg actualtor are not that great, im running one on my setup. Donest seem to work any better IMO. And i understand that is SHOULD work better and gthe theory behind it butttt, mine still required quite a mighty helper spring.

How does the dual port actuator work.. Well you apply a boost signal to both sides of the diphram and then rig your electronic boost controllor to bleed the boost off of the bottom when the time is right thus opening the wg. By doing so you have boost pressure holding the wg shut.