HybridZ

How does an SRT-4 stack up against a turbo'd 240Z?

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

Well I've checked the spark plugs a lot, especially recently when i was closing up the gap on them to get rid of some high end misfire I was having. They did not look overly black, they were mostly brownish gray as they SHOULD be with only some carbon/black soot here or there.

About the brakes, I doubt an upgrade to the 4x4 calipers would do that much, from what I understand and have been told by knowledgeable fellows here, the 4x4 upgrade doesn't improve stopping ability so much as it does improve the systems ability to put up with several hard stops w/o over heating.

I do think the Z's braking could be improved with the stainless braided lines, performance pads, DOT 5 fluid to replace the DOT 3, and wider tires for improved grip. And at some point, swapping out the rear drums for discs. But I think after reading MUCH info on the subject here on the forums, that the stock front CALIPERS themselves perform just fine.

Hey Bastaad, what catch can did you get? If you got one with some clear plastic hoses, dont use the hose because it cant take the heat and will collapse or cause a vacuum leak because it wont stay on the fittings properly which will most likely cause a check engine light for "irratic map signal". I have installed 2 catch cans and both are doing this, one car I fixed with some EFI fuel hose(very stiff stuff). And the other car I havent seen in a while so I have gotten to fix this yet.

Guy

Guest bastaad525
I'm takin' odds he's keepin' the Z' date=' and is now searching for the strength to tell his wife... :lmao:

Good write-up Bastaad!

Mike :cool:[/quote']

quite the contrary... I recieved a phonecall today from a guy who seems to REALLY want the car and is willing to pay my price, unfortunately he's out of state... other side of the country actually, so I have some concerns. But otherwise it sounds like a definate thing.

80LT1 - it's actually a hardware store piece, made by Husky :D The tradition I started with my Z carries on! But it did come with fuel hose, no clear plastic stuff.

Honestly, if you were selling the car about 6 months from now I'd buy it in a heart beat. Looks like i'm gonna have some small steady income, but won't have 6k saved up for a while yet.

It's too bad, cuz it's a nice car man. Worth the price (easily in my opinion).

Guest bastaad525

I've already dropped the price dude :D

Down to $5000, since I saw a few other cars and what they were going for, I figured $6000 just seemed a little too high, and I needed to remove sentiment from the equation.

Guest bastaad525

refinance that loan and get another :D

seriously, I'd feel much better selling to a fellow hybrid Z member... and even better if you were local and/or came to SEE the car before buying. This one guy from PA (other side of the country) seems REALLY serious about wanting to buy but I just don't get a good feeling about the whole thing.

Well, there might be a slight problem if the bank in question was short the cash...

Maybe I could pass the idea of a graduation present......................................

...LOL, I don't think it would ever pass. BUT i'm gonna make the humorous pitch just for you man. Mainly because I'd love the excuse for a road trip to see the car.

Guest bastaad525

just more little observations...

It's really funny... to think that my Z and this SRT both make pretty close to the same amount of HP, maybe give or take 10-20. And driven hard (which I do quite a bit) they both suck up about the same amount of fuel... in each car I average about 17 mpg's per tank.

Yet, the one time I decided to take it easy for a tankfull in the Z... I only improved about 2-3 mpg's. So, up to about 20 mpg's, this is with roughly 2/3 freeway driving and I barely ever even touched boost during the whole tankful.

In the SRT that same type of driving gives me a whopping TEN more mpg's. I can only imagine this thing must cruise VERY lean or what I dunno, but it's funny to get such a large spread of possible mileage... in every other car I"ve owned the mileage has always been pretty consistent. Even in the Sentra I just sold, there were times I granny drove it, and then weeks where I beat the hell out of it, and mileage never varied more than 3-4 mpg's.

makes me feel so guilty though, driving the SRT, KNOWING I could be getting very good gas mileage, but ONLY if I totally keep my foot out of it. So with the prices of gas right now, I feel so damn guilty every time I get on the gas and try to enjoy the car... I swear... it's like... I can see this meter in my head, like one you might find in a cab... in normal driving the numbers are turning ever so slowly, but the second I punch it the digits just start rolling by so fast you can't make out the numbers anymore.... yow :(

So with the prices of gas right now, I feel so damn guilty every time I get on the gas and try to enjoy the car... I swear... it's like... I can see this meter in my head, like one you might find in a cab...

You can keep a jar in the kitchen, put all your loose change in there and call it "The WHEEEE~~~ Foundation."

Guest bastaad525
You can keep a jar in the kitchen, put all your loose change in there and call it "The WHEEEE~~~ Foundation."

ROFLMAO!!!!

Actually I beat you to that punch my friend... we DO put all our spare change in a jar, and over the last few months have accrued about $60 in there. Just yesterday, my Mopar Stage 1 ECU showed up in the mail, and I was calling around, and found a place that will program and install it for $50 :D So I told my wife I'd take the money from the jar to pay for that and made an appointment for tommorow.

The WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Foundation indeed :D

The Stage 1 is apparently worth more than just the 10hp Mopar rates it for, since it will free up the fuel maps enough to allow me to run some more boost as well. Stock it was only running about 13psi, apparently stage 1 will support up to 18 or 19. The injectors on it stock are pretty big as is like 500+ CC per min. This should be fun :D

Guest bastaad525

Got my Stage 1 ECU installed in the SRT-4 yesterday, and turned up the boost a couple more psi. Definately a noticeable seat of the pants difference. Well I had hoped to dyno or run at the track before doing these mods but the guy I found that installed and flashed the ECU for me offered to do it for so cheap I just had to take him up on it right away.

the motor is well past broken in now at nearly 1000 miles in two weeks of ownership (owners manual recommends the break-in period at only 300 miles!), so I romp on it hard and often :D I have a feeling my factory tires won't last that long!

Last thing I'll probably do for a while is just throw a better intake in there. So far everything I"m doing has been stuff I can easily UNdo if I ever need to bring the car in for warranty work, and the intake is the only other thing I can think of that keeps to that rule. Supposedly on these cars a good intake can make significant difference (10 whp not unheard of), but as always I'm a skeptic unless I see/feel it for myself.

The Z still sitting there gathering dust... well I take it out once a week for a drive to keep the fluids... well... fluid :D I thought after getting a new car and a quick one at that I'd have no reason to go back to the Z but driving it still holds a lot of appeal for me. It's still incredibly fun and puts grins on my face constantly.

Ah well.. probably my last post on this thread which was a much longer lived thread that it probably should have been ;)

Someone buy my damn Z already!

Guest bastaad525
Good things come to those who wait.

... so i'm waiting for you to give me your z 8)

and I'm waiting for you to give me $5000 8)

*sigh* the first sign of fall rains has come today... so now it may be hard to find good times to drive the Z even the once a week I'd promised myself I would. I got to test out the SRT's water manners :D first second and third not very useful at WOT... nice. It hurts to see it get rained on though... it's lost that 'new car sheen' now. I promised I wouldn't obsess over keeping this car spotless like I did with the Z for the first year after I got it painted... that can really drive you nuts.

So come on Gollum... $5000 not THAT much money, especially not for a car that can handily outrun probably 95% of everything else on the street and is barely scratching the surface considering it's still on the stock turbo and efi.

I don't know if you understand. When people give me anything more than $5 for playing guitar i'm estatic. I bum food bills from friends. I don't even pay my own car insurance (living under parents roof, i'm 18).

Like i said... if it were only 6 months later. Stay firm on your price. If it sells, good for you. If not I might be able to work something out in th near future. Sell some stuff lying around to make the better half happy for the moment ;)

I might have an IT job lined up that would pay well. If I get the job them i'm heading down to LA in a heartbeat. I'll get a one year loan if I have to.