HybridZ

Clarification on Master Cylinder Needed

In the FAQ titled " Brake Upgrade FAQ", a "later 82-83 280 zx master..." is recommended when doing the Toyota upgrade. However, in the thread titled "Help!, What Brake Options for S30s", "a 1979 280 zx" master is recommended.

Because these model year masters have differant part numbers (and differant prices, too) I am wondering whether there is really any functional differance between the two. Will either model year master work?

I have read old threads for the last two days trying to resolve this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Larry Cutter

There is a difference in the two. The later one has separate reservoirs and when you install it on a Z booster the reservoirs are on top. The early one has one reservoir and if installed on a Z booster the reservoirs point sideways, which makes them harder to fill... :wink:

EDIT--I guess I should also say that there is always the possibility that I'm wrong, but the real test is to ask if it has dual reservoirs or a single. That's a definite test.

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

The '79-81 has dual resevoirs according to my raybestos computer catalog... it also looks like it will bolt right up in an early car by compairing pictures.

I'm not sure of the differences between the two models you are talking about but, consider the bore size on the MC. I believe you may want to use one with a 15/16" bore. With larger calipers you useually have larger diameter pistons that require more fluid to move them. A smaller bore MC will move them but you are likely going to bottom out your brake pedal before full engagement occurs. Just some food for thought!

The '79-81 has dual resevoirs according to my raybestos computer catalog... it also looks like it will bolt right up in an early car by compairing pictures.

Hmm... I was pretty sure of myself on this one. Having had an 80 and an 82 parts car made me more sure of myself. But it's been some years since those cars went to the great crusher in the sky, so I still want to leave a little wiggle room.

That would be great! I was looking at a picture of the '82-'83 part on Buyautoparts.com and it looks like the one that would mount 90 degrees from vertical like Jon said. The part number was N3000-52454 and it has one brake fluid filler cap on it. So, I am thinking that the early version for the '79 may be the one to get.

I can't figure out how to post the picture I was looking at here, but that's a problem for another day!

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

No one was competing just want to make sure everyone gets the right info..... You should use the pictures I posted for a guide in the fact for everyone also.

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

Glad To Help And I Hope This Helps With Newbies Trying To Get Brake Upgrade Info..... You Know Save Them From Frustration For Them Later On! ;)