HybridZ

VLSD info

240Z-DET

I have searched over and over again about the VLSD swap into a S30 chassis. I have found one solution where someone was using the axles from a AMC. Are there any others that anyone is aware of? More specifically, I am looking for the following info:

What output shafts are the correct units with regards to spline count?

What Datsun/Nissan CV axles are available with the correct spline count?

Which companion flange will work with the VLSD if the spline count is correct?

I thank any and everyone in advance that is able to help me out!!

Guest JAMIE T

James Thagard is the only person I know of that used the "SE" VLSD in an S30. Everyone else uses the Q45 R200 VLSD with shortened Moser axles and adapters available from Modern Motorsports. It has proven to be a very strong set-up. The SE VLSD has not been broken either in James' car which apparently has gone 10.60's in the quarter. I recently remember doing a search for something else and saw that James had posted the parts he used to swap the diff.

I am using the VLSD carrier from an 88SS in my 71, I used a 78 case and gears, I am running mine with the stock 78 outputs shafts and halfshafts, I cut 1/4" off of one of the output shafts and the circlips do not line up and engage properly!

my car is primarlily autocross and drag, it sees very little street use, I have had no problems from this set up, I've been running it like this for over 3 years, the vlsd uses unequal length output shafts that have their circlip grooves in very different parts of the shafts and the one shaft is much longer than the standard output shaft, I of course can not recomend this set up as it does not positively lock the shafts in but it seems to work fine

the standard shaft does reach and engage the center portion it's just not as far into it as the correct shaft woulld be, that center portion is quite wide and is splined all the way through, my biggest concern was a shaft coming out as the circlips do not engage, but in all this time it hasn't been an issue

I too am running the 88 VLSD. Joel also has run it as well. We both had the same axle setup as James T did though. The problem is that the outer CV tripod is SUPER HARD to locate.

The better way to run the 88 VLSD is to use the 88 VLSD shafts (specific to the diff), turn around the outer bearing housing (shortening the shaft), and then using Ross' adaptors.

http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=46

I will be changing over from the AMC/280zx setup to the latter at some point as I have all the parts to do so...

My actual VLSD is from a Sylvia with a 4.08 ratio. My VLSD has a 5 bolt output flange.

"The new VLSD units are not the same as the older ones that were pre 90."

Quote from J. Thagard

So, now knowing this, what differentiates my VLSD from a standard LSD R200. Shouldn't I be able to use the same set up as far as axles, companion flange, etc. as a R200?

keep in mind that there are 2 versions of the R200, the early long snout versiona nd the newer short snout version, so the ring and pinion gears can only be used with their correct housing but the center carriers can be used in either housing with the housings proper gearset, aside from that the VLSD just used different output shfts but this is due the the carriers specific setup you can use the output shafts with the correct carrier in ewither housing but you then need to adapt to the halfshafts or adapt the cv's on the outboard side