HybridZ

Need some help with the GN turbo

9kredline

First off, thanks to Scottie, Clifton, and DD from my previous thread. I posted on the GN forum and got several bites for turbos, by the end of next week I'll have two for $200 total with shipping.

This probably just some basic unfamiliarity with turbos, but that's why I'm doing this project. I just need a little explaination...

turboexhaust.JPG

I'm assuming this is simply a wastegate and the housing with the gate mechanism attaches to the rod that's part of the vacuum solenoid.

Is the housing and solenoid going to be necessary for my application?

turbointake.JPG

What is the purpose of the port located on the intercooler funnel?

PS I'm going to be derusting the exhaust housing quite a bit, looking rather groady.

Yes that is your wastegate and housing, needed for your application? well you have to have some sort of a wastegate, either the one pictured or a standard t3 wastegate or an adapter flange and an external wastegate, and I have no idea why your turbo has that port? never seen one like that

on second thought that port on the intake side of your turbo is likely where the stock recirculation type bov re-entered the system, this is quieter than the bov's that vent to atmosphere and found on lots of stock applications, and if running a stock ecu not recirculation causes a momentary rich condition due to the wasted air leaving the system

So if I'm understanding, I can get another intercooler fitting made and do away with the recirc opening and on the exhaust side I can block off the hole and run a wastegate and dump tube off of the exhaust manifolds or simply have one welded and attached to the exhaust pipe to match where the old lever mechanism would have sit.

Input still welcome!

Edit and it looks to be just a standard T3 flange, correct?

These are internally gated turbos. #1-Left is the wastegate relief hole positioned in the stream to relieve boost before it hits the turbine wheel. #1-Right is the wastegate puck that covers the hole to build boost then is opened by the wastegate cannister in #2-Left which is connected to an intaje port. The big port on the compressor inlet is where the valve cover vents back into engine. You can just block that off. #2-Right is a removable compressor "inlet bell" that you can remove and port to take away that transition ridge and increase the air flow into the housing.

As for the wastegate, it depends on your HP goals and how you plan to position the turbos. That wastegate housing makes a sharp 90* off the turbo and many have ported it to improve flow. 400hp with inlet bell and exhaust housing ported is not uncommon with boost level up to around 22#. So you can see with minimal $$$ a pair will support well over 700rwhp. You do, however, have options. One is an improved internal housing integral in a DP and the other is an external gated DP like I currently have. Both will add considerable cost since you need 2 and if the goal is less than 700 RWHP you might consider sticking with the stockers and porting it.

BTW, how do you plan to regulate the boost in this setup? MOF, my memory fails me. What is your planned setup?

BTW, how do you plan to regulate the boost in this setup?

I'll probably have both the intake and exhaust bells ported. I don't see 700rwhp in my budget nor my plans.

As far as boost control, I'm going to invest in a GReddy Profec B-Specc II unless I find a reason to steer elsewhere.

I don't see running more than 5-7psi on the stock bottom end. If I recall right it's a 10.1:1. Without moving to lower compression pistons or alcohol/water/no2 I don't see it going much higher than that. That's another job for another day.

Absolutely install a progressive alky kit. The best kit on the market (IMO) is right in your backyard in St Petersburg and he is a Buick turbo guy (10-sec street TTA). Was there just yesterday. I will be running 26-27psi on pump gas with that kit.