HybridZ

Cheap EFI

rudypoochris

I searched but i couldn't find exactly what i needed, so here it goes...

I want to go EFI on my 1994 mustang block (right now it has nothing) and i was wondering what the cheapest way to do it is. There is no need for smog stuff so i don't want soemthing as complex as the stock computer, because as i understand it, it is always thinking about smog which might adverseley effect performance? Or is it possible for a dyno shop to rewrite the stock computer to meet my requirements? Also where would i get a complete 5.0 H.O. setup if i did go that way? I would need a fuel pump too wouldn't I? Thanks

I wouldn't pass over the stock EFI because of it's smog capabilities. There are lots of Ford's running stock based EFI setups that put out a lot of power. Since you're in Oakland you shouldn't have a hard time finding the EFI out of an early 90's Mustang to use and at the local Pick N pull's the harness and other necessary items are cheap. Once you have the parts installed and the engine running well, there are a few shops in the Bay Area that can tune the ECU for your setup.

Josh

The smog info can be erased from the ECU very easily. Poke around for tune shops around your area.

Something interesting to keep in mind though, all the smog crap if irrelevant except the EGR. I run a 92 5.0HO in my 94 F-150 with the entire smog system removed and thrown away other than the EGR. It should also be noted that the car will run BETTER with the EGR hooked up than with it disabled. It re-routes exhaust gases back in to the intake during non WOT operation, making for better fuel economy and effectively helping to lower combustion temperatures. 5.0's with the EGR system unhooked have been know to ping on occasion as well.

At WOT the EGR is unused and the ECU reverts to a specific set of data to run the engine off of, adjusting for full power and ignoring the normal EGR-enabled data.

Having the EGR hooked up really has no downside. It improves the engines gas mileage and general driveability during normal throttle operation while turning off at WOT for no adverse effects. If ya disconnect it the car will run like **** though. (unless ya flash the ECU)

You should be able to pick up a 5.0 harness and ECU for about 100-150$, maybe cheaper.

Im checking out this MS stuff impressive but man am i confused!

Its definitely confusing at first. Start reading the basic FAQ and go from there. There are companies that build the units, but you still have to wire them up. Not a bad deal though when you add everything up.

• 3 weeks later...

A really amazing EFI site is http://fordfuelinjection.com/ This guy started making harnasses for Early Broncos and they are basically a three wire connection to the vehicle harnass.

Read all the PDF's about the conversion for the bronco they contain parts list and descriptions of what each part actually does. There is even a diagram for a mounting bracket for the computer.

I know he's backed up on production now but I hear he puts out an amazing product.

If you're ambitious he even has wiring diagrams and info on how to splice a mustang harnass into something else.

• 1 month later...
It should also be noted that the car will run BETTER with the EGR hooked up than with it disabled. It re-routes exhaust gases back in to the intake during non WOT operation, making for better fuel economy and effectively helping to lower combustion temperatures. 5.0's with the EGR system unhooked have been know to ping on occasion as well....Having the EGR hooked up really has no downside. It improves the engines gas mileage and general driveability during normal throttle operation while turning off at WOT for no adverse effects. If ya disconnect it the car will run like **** though. (unless ya flash the ECU)

Hmm, I don't have any hard evidence, but my '91 5.0 runs just fine without EGR. It also gets 25 mpg in the city, and 30 on the highway. I'd be pretty darn impressed if it ran stronger and got better mileage with EGR!

Hmm, I don't have any hard evidence, but my '91 5.0 runs just fine without EGR. It also gets 25 mpg in the city, and 30 on the highway. I'd be pretty darn impressed if it ran stronger and got better mileage with EGR!

It should run cooler and burn less gas. The egr basically in simple terms reduces the size of the combustion chamber by using non cumbustible gas (exhaust) to use up some of the combustion chamber's volume. It is automatically disabled when you get into the throttle heavily.

I am running the stock 5.0L computer(A9P)and wiring harness from a 1993 Mustang. It was really not very hard to wire up. I had expected the installation to be difficult, so I bought Charles Probst's book about Ford EEC-IV fuel injection (great book), and learned all that I could before attempting the install. In hindsight, hooking up the fuel injection has been one of the easiest parts of building my car.

If you look back at some of my earliest posts(circa 2000), I gave many of the details for the installation.

I love my fuel injection set-up. The Mass Air version from 1989-1993 adapts automatically to most engine modifications.

7833PICT0024.JPG

My current set-up is pretty mild.

I have Edelbrock Performer 5.0 Heads, 1.72 roller rockers, 24# injectors, C&L 73mm MAF, Cobra Intake, Crower 15511 hydraulic roller cam, BBK 65mm TB. The bottom end is bone stock as I recieved it out of a junk yard in 2000. I only replaced the oil pump. I have never even looked at the bearings. :shock:

On the shelf, I have a PerformerRPM intake and some 30# injectors. I am wanting to put together a 331 stroker with some more compresion and a small solid roller cam (~.600 lift). Before then I am building some custom long tube headers and possibly a custom upper intake. I am contemplating a chip or getting the tweecer RT set-up.

By the way, where in central florida are you? We ought to get together.

Dan

My current set-up is pretty mild.

I have Edelbrock Performer 5.0 Heads' date=' 1.72 roller rockers, 24# injectors, C&L 73mm MAF, Cobra Intake, Crower 15511 hydraulic roller cam, BBK 65mm TB. The bottom end is bone stock as I recieved it out of a junk yard in 2000. I only replaced the oil pump. I have never even looked at the bearings. :shock:

On the shelf, I have a PerformerRPM intake and some 30# injectors. I am wanting to put together a 331 stroker with some more compresion and a small solid roller cam (~.600 lift). Before then I am building some custom long tube headers and possibly a custom upper intake. I am contemplating a chip or getting the tweecer RT set-up.

By the way, where in central florida are you? We ought to get together.

Dan[/quote']

I live in longwood - just outside orlando, and I work for one of the big ford tuners.

So you should deffiently shy away from the tweecer :)

I love the way you went with the tube front end on your car, I was contemplating doing that with a 4v 4.6 modular engine. But I went a little different route with the LS1.

I'll be out at the Space Coast Christmas gathering in a few weeks, not with the car of course.