HybridZ

sbc twin turbo oiling question

Guest traub83

Guest traub83

For those of you that have done it or know about it. Where do you get the oil supply to the turbos from? my block dont show any port that I can run to feed the turbos. do I need to invest in a sandwich style oil filter adaptor or something?? any help here would be great!!!

Guest traub83

Ohh and you guys know nothing of this motor im building lol!!! it was supposed to be a suprise but I guess I just F'ed that up huh!! anyways ohh well HELP!!! and lets hope it runs like I hope it will!!! And for those of you that wanna know I will be running 18 pounds of boost thats all the info I can be giving out about this motor untill I have it finished!!!

Another option is from the remote oil filter if you are using one. I am using a remote filter adaptor with dual outlets and using the 2nd port to feed the turbo. I imagine you could come off the adaptor with a -6 and tee it to 2 -4s. While the risk is low, you are guaranteed filtered oil to the turbos in case the oil gets contaminated.

Guest traub83

hmm use a oil filter relocator kit and it will supply my turbos with fresh clean oil... hmm I like that idea best! cause my oil pressure port is there im sending the oil press sender but i guess i could always use a Tee there huh...

Are you sure you don't have an oil pressure port at the front of the engine, just above the timing cover? My block has oil supply there and I used a "T" and 1/8th pipe nipple for my turbos. There was so much pressure I had to use carburetor jets to reduce oil flow. When will you have the Z running?

Hanns

Guest traub83

Ahh my motor is at my shop when i go there tomarrow I will look for the bung you are talking about. Umm have it running im not totally positive but im figureing around March/April of this comming year.. I still have to get the cars body finished and painted. Luckly My cousin who does body work is doing it for me on the side So thats a major plus.. Hes going to paint it for me also for just buying paint and materials so can't go wrong there....

Anyone wanna give good idea's on paint colors for the Z's I havent bought wheels yet and the interrior is black.... Ohh yah and I will be running a carbon fiber wing on it since I know I will need it!! and I will prob also have a carbon fiber hood. Id like to keep the carbon look of them also so I was thinking lime green or orange but im not positive on those yet.. I want something totally off the wall and different for our cars, that will make a stand with the import crowd but yet get the attention of the domestic boys??

The motor im sorta building now while my car itself is gettin restored and then I will drop it in and then work on finishing the interrior.. I will be running a Turbo 400 tranny with a 3.15 gear ratio posi.. ohh also I will be buying the YZ fender flares for the rear so I can fit some wide tires on it to help with my soon to be traction problems cause I know I will have them :-) Otherthan that I am unsure of the rest of the plans its kinda a plan as I go type of deal besides the motor, i know exactly what I want to do with that...

While Im talking about it I guess I should tell you all my build so far..

I am running a full forged 355 4 bolt main SBC, the block is retrofited for a roller cam, and ontop of the block I have a set of ported and polished Edelbrock Victor Jr heads with a victor jr intake.. I do not have a cam picked out yet as Im still debating what one Id exactly want since I want to keep it streetable so I can cruise around town with no problems... Thats the basics of what im doing but I hope when all is done and running I should have around 900hp at the wheels or so I am figurin depending on my camshaft!

Anyone wanna give good idea's on paint colors for the Z's I havent bought wheels yet and the interrior is black.... Ohh yah and I will be running a carbon fiber wing on it since I know I will need it!! and I will prob also have a carbon fiber hood. Id like to keep the carbon look of them also so I was thinking lime green or orange but im not positive on those yet.. I want something totally off the wall and different for our cars, that will make a stand with the import crowd but yet get the attention of the domestic boys??

If you have to keep the raw CF visible I would just paint the car black. Just seems like a step back to leave the hood and spoiler raw when you're going have countless thousands spent on motor and restoration work.

Guest traub83

I see what your saying however Im a classic mopar fan and I loved the black hoods with the off the wall colors.. id like to do something simular with my Z here with like Lime green trimmed in carbon fiber but I honestly cant imagine it on a Z. And I dont want to go ahead and paint my car and do it then be disapointed with the look.. basically im wanting to go a modern look with the classic to grab both the import crowds eyes as well as the classic guys!! regardless Im sure my turbo v8 is gonna grab there attention regardless but before they hear the turbos screaming I want them to be like hey thats a sweet lookin Z!! Or I want a wow what the hell is that, thats sweet!! Im dumping a lot of money into this car and I am soo hoping I will have it done by summer of this comming year and I want to turn heads no matter where it goes with it!!!

Guest traub83

HA HA HA Ohh man that bought a smile to my face today, Sad thing is I could see myself doing something along those lines as a joke lol...... But thanks man!!! Im really hooked on the lime green trimmed in black and carbon however again im tryin to picture in my head a Z like that and I can only see darts, cuda's and old mopars... I also really like the purple dodge had the plum crazy that paint trimmed in carbon would look sweet on a Z I know for a fact. but what color U guys think would really grab someone's attention if you just seen it sitting somewhere without knowing whats under the hood or hearing it run?? Yellow, orange, Lime, or Purple all would be trimmed in carbon so what you guys think??

Guest traub83

Well finally made it back to my shop and yes I have a oil spot in my block to feed my turbo's, basically do you guys know the size fitting I will need for it?? then I just use a T to send oil to each turbo and then put retuen bungs in my oil pan and run the returns from the turbo to the oil pan with graviity as my friend and then my oil problem is solved??? Also Since I havent bought my turbo's yet do you guys think oil and water cooled turbos would be best or could I get away with just oil cooled turbos and just run a really good oil cooler on my system with a high flo pump and deep oil pan??

Also this is just for general knowledge but how muhc bost could I get away with runnin no i/c and on 92 octane fuel at 8.5:1 compression with aluminum heads?? This is just for general knowedge but I do plan on running a intercooler but ever bit of info helps out :-)

I've always heard that you shouldn't go over 5psi without an intercooler. I always figure on running an intercooler, in my mind its cheap insurance from overheating things.

On the subject of paint, I think either orange or lime would look best, I prefer the orange but the lime is a close second. I dont remember if mopars had the whole hood black or just an inset painted like the mach1s, but to help the look flow through the car paint a body color border around the carbon hood but leave the majority of it carbon, this will tie the dark hood into the bright car and make it look like it should be there. I've got an idea for the paint scheme of my car following this line of thinking, when I get to that stage I'll get into the details but that might take a few years, I hope no one steals my idea before then! Good luck with the car!

btw, you might be getting a PM from me in the future since a twin turbo sbc is on my list of possible engines...

Guest traub83

Hey just let me know man... the mopar hoods that were black were the whole hood. some cars like the aar cuda's had the whole hood black and the tops of the front fenders black... I am thinking lime green with the black carbon hood unpainted would look killer on my Z expecially if I found some really nice Black wheels to go with the look and then a carbon spoiler and it would look just wow... Grab the eyes of a lot of people cause I still havent seen any set up like this but I photochopped one a while back and to me it looks awsome!!! however that was 2 computers ago so sadly I don't have that pic anymore.. As for the TTSBC just let me know.. I will tell you within a few weeks I will be gone for a few months but I should return in late January, early Feburary time.. So thats why Im asking all the questions I can now as I wont have access to the Internet for a while... I now am just really debating on putting fender flares on my car or just keeping everything tucked up under the stock body lines??? But yes lime or orange or plum purple are my 3 colors I have to decide from but it will be one of those 3 trimmed in carbon!! Im also thinkin about gettin that fiberglass dash replacement and adding those autometer carbon gauges to it to even go further with my carbon look and save some more weight!!

Hey just let me know man... the mopar hoods that were black were the whole hood. some cars like the aar cuda's had the whole hood black and the tops of the front fenders black... I am thinking lime green with the black carbon hood unpainted would look killer on my Z expecially if I found some really nice Black wheels to go with the look and then a carbon spoiler and it would look just wow... Grab the eyes of a lot of people cause I still havent seen any set up like this but I photochopped one a while back and to me it looks awsome!!! however that was 2 computers ago so sadly I don't have that pic anymore.. As for the TTSBC just let me know.. I will tell you within a few weeks I will be gone for a few months but I should return in late January, early Feburary time.. So thats why Im asking all the questions I can now as I wont have access to the Internet for a while... I now am just really debating on putting fender flares on my car or just keeping everything tucked up under the stock body lines??? But yes lime or orange or plum purple are my 3 colors I have to decide from but it will be one of those 3 trimmed in carbon!! Im also thinkin about gettin that fiberglass dash replacement and adding those autometer carbon gauges to it to even go further with my carbon look and save some more weight!!

Check this post: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=95051&highlight=lime+green

Guest traub83

Thanks Mike, I think that car will look sweet and sadly I wont be the first to do it :-( ohh well I really do like that look on these Z's and I think im gonna do it also!! Lime vs Orange vs plum purple vs Yellow so far I think its a close call between lime and orange but i think lime may have pulled ahead some :-)

Guest traub83

single turbo ehh??? got any pics of the setup and also how did you do your headers to make it work, Id like to do a single turbo setup bt couldnt find anything to base mine off of. and since my stuff got stolen it may be cheaper to go this route with a t70 turbo or something.. so please send info my way if you would please!!!