HybridZ

what diff do i have!!!!!?

dippowit-z-

I have a diff out of a 1990 300zx. is this an r200 or r230. its a 4.10 ratio It also has a 5 bolt pattern for the cv,s. Is there an r230 out of a q45 with 4.10s available, If anyone has answers to these questions, please help, just dont attack me again. I have been told of so many combos diff/cv that I am thouroughly confused.

thanks

Actually, I have been told to go with 3.90 and someone else told me to go 4.10+. both of these people are very knowledgable. I plan to have an rb25det powered 240z. can anyone who has done this motor tell me what gears they liked best.

thanks again

remember, no attacking!

Depending upon what size tires you intend to run, either ratio could be fine. If you go to one of the TIRERACK sites, they provide you with a formula for calculating your speed, based on RPM, tranny ratios, differential ratios, and drive tire diameter.

That's an R200, from a 300ZX NA, should actually be 4.08:1 but what's 2/10th eh?!!

You can get the bigger R230 from a 300ZX TT which is a 3.69:1 ratio, but is definite overkill unless you're planning on pushing major power out the back. The R200 is good for upto 500bhp generally.

You can also get a short nose R200 from a 240SX, although I won't make any guarantee to what ratio it would be other than likely to be somewhere between 3.69 and 4.08.

Cheers,

Rob

Yes, 300zx n/a, I have opened it up and it is a 4.08. Now my next problem is the 5 bolt drive axles on the diff. Can I use this diff? Can I just get the cvs from the same car? Maybe 4 inner flanges like on the r230 set up, then I could just find someone to fab 5 bolt comp. flanges. It sounds to good to be true. especially since I will have a hard time returning this diff.

thanks again!

emailed a friend of mine, will find out shortly

edit: still waiting for answers, but I've been searching twinturbo.net, and even though I haven't found the exact answer, I think both units are viscious limited slip.

na has the 4.08 geared r200, and the twin turbo has the 3.69 geared r230. I'll update this if I hear otherwise

Now thats the specs I've seen posted time and again. I'm just disputing the R230 coming with a clsd ....

emailed a friend of mine' date=' will find out shortly

edit: still waiting for answers, but I've been searching twinturbo.net, and even though I haven't found the exact answer, I think both units are viscious limited slip.

na has the 4.08 geared r200, and the twin turbo has the 3.69 geared r230. I'll update this if I hear otherwise[/quote']

1990 is a z32 so not a zxt its a zxtt correct? Or am i hitting on a technicality? Just checking to amke sure you wern't thinking z31. Also it is possible 1990 was only a single turbo, i don't remember though it was twin though.

84-89 = z31. 3.7 r200.

90-96, z32. there was a naturally aspirated version at 222hp, and a twin turbo (zxtt) 300hp version. no single turbo was made 90-96. two small t3s, one for each bank

Depending on what tranny you use with your RB, you may want to shortest diff you can find. If you use the tranny that came with the RB, they were geared for a 4.38 diff. If you put a 3.69 in it, it'll be a slug off the line.

If you're modifying an original Z tranny to bolt up to the RB, then either Z32 diff should be good.