HybridZ

GM 10si alternator

HB280ZT

Hi All,

Well I did a search and did not find what I was looking for so here goes.

I need to find the setup or adapter to attach the 10si alt to my 82 ZXT motor.

In another post they mentioned a bracket but not where to get it??

Also what do I do to upgrade the 77 280Z wiring to work with the internally regulated alternator.

Thanks for your help.

HB280ZT

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Very cool Hiz. I just lost another alternator tonight. This is my 2nd in 1 year. I know its my stereo because both times the alternators went out, it was at night with all lights on in heavy traffic on the hwy with my stereo pretty loud. I want to do the GM alternator. I wanna ask you, wouldnt it be easier to drill a smooth hole through the datsun alternator bracket and use a long bolt with a nut on the end instead of threading the hole? Again, thank you for the writeup. Its EXACTLY what i sat down to search for tonight.

• 3 months later...

I'm about to do this on 280Z #4 tonight so I am just now coming back to read what I posted almost a year ago.

I wanna ask you, wouldnt it be easier to drill a smooth hole through the datsun alternator bracket and use a long bolt with a nut on the end instead of threading the hole?

I threaded the bracket so that the bolt would not wobble around. I suppose a nut could be used instead, but threading stills seems better to me.

... the bolt you should use is an M10 X 75mm long (not 100mm like the post says).

No, I'm 100% sure it is M10 X 100mm.

I'll try to take pictures of the electrical part this time around.

Nice write up on using the z bracket for the GM alternator. If you didn't want to thread the inside of the Z mount you could probably drill it through and just use a nut, washer, and lock washer on the back side of the mount. I had a custom made mount through a welding shop. It's not perfect but it works and lets me use a chromed GM 100amp alternator. As for the one wire or three wire I like the three wire set up. It is detailed in the Jags That Run v8 swap book. On my 280z with the ammeter I only had to run two wires one to the stock postive that runs to the fusebox and one to the battery for the 12 voltage sensing (regulator). It is grounded through the alternator body. The three wire setup lets the ammeter show how many amps are charging. With the one wire you only see the negative draw the car is using. Very good cheap alternators.