HybridZ

modifying tranny mounts to allow install of ls1

hey guys, i know i've read it somewhere and have searched but can't seem to find the answer. i have a 73 and am swapping in an 01 ls1 with t56. i'm using john's cars eng & tranny mounts. i think i remember reading that on the 240's the stock tranny mounts need to be removed and some don't. can anyone help me on to verify if this is true and if so, which. just want to be sure before i remove these things. mine appears to have a 'horse collar' looking brace that attaches to the tranny tunnel and then the tranny crossmember mounts attach to that. do i remove the entire collar or just the mounts??

l28 is out and ls1 ready for it's first test fit. strange, i tried to put it in about an hour ago and found that my cherry picker doesn't seem to extend far enough to set the engine on the mounts [yes, the arm is at the furthest hole out]. the front bumper hits the hyd ram on the hoist. still need about 8" more movement. maybe i need to go over the fender wrather than over the rad support. input always appreciated!

thanks, david

I had the bumper and my front airdam off also, with those parts off I could get all the way to the radiator core support.

As for the Trans mounts I just did the install on a 72, I had the two bulges (for lack of a better word) spot welded to the trans tunnel, one on each side.

The trans crossmember on my year mounted with one bolt each side to the bottom of these bulges.

I have a spot weld drill but it wasn't worth trying to get them all drilled out on each of them, I just cut them off flush with a cut off wheel on my die grinder.

I threw a picture of the tunnel after I was finished in my album.

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=4532&cat=500&page=1

I also have a john's car transmission mount I didn't use (took too long to get it) if you're interested.

Steve

If i remember my conversation with John @JCI correctly the 240 and 280 installs are different.

They had to design a new LS1 trans mount for the 240.

There was no way my T56 would have fit in the trans tunnel with those mounting points for the original trans mount in there.

Steve

I couldn't measure the tunnel, the tranny is just too big for me to get up in there.

All I did was cut off the ears and left the support. I also had to clearance by the backup light switch on the passenger side and at the reverse lockout selonoid. I used my BFH. Also, there were some flanges on the rails that I had to saw off to get John's mount to fit. Here's a view of the 280 tunnel just after the engine came out.

TranTunnel1.jpg

My car is a 72 and I had to cut off the ears from the trans tunnel. My trans mounts were different then Dales. Here is a shot of the tunnel after removing the ears. I used a grinder to remove them.

4628My_LS1_240Z_Swap_041.jpg

I didn't have any problems getting the hoist to drop it in. I did have the arm adjusted all the way out but as you can see in the pics, I still had the bumper on. The load leveler helped alot. I did it with the help of My 11 year old son. No new scratches either.

4628My_LS1_240Z_Swap_049.jpg

4628My_LS1_240Z_Swap_050.jpg

4628My_LS1_240Z_Swap_051.jpg

Dave, you can call me if you have any questions.

Good Luck

I'm sure by now everyone realizes that there are definite differences between a 280 tunnel and a 240 tunnel. My 280 tunnel had to be dimpled lightly in a small area for the reverse lock-out switch with an itsy-bitsy hammer instead of the standard BFH. The T56 is fairly snug in there but doesn't require KY to get it to fit. Then too, my installation is different from everyone elses in that it doesn't have a transmission cross-member mount but a modified torque-tube to the front of the differential instead.