HybridZ

Just bought

Guest Death

i just bought my first turbo 300zx about a month ago, a fixer upper, didn't pay too much for it, it supposedly only needed a new water pump so i put one in, but now when i start it up it idles fine and smooth at about 1.5-2G for about a minute or 2 before the rpms drop and it starts sputtering and slowly dies out ( and when i give it gas as it is dying it sputters more :?) could this just be the fuel pump, fuel filter, or perhaps the air filter?, just curious as to what it could be so i can fix the problem and get it on the road as soon as possible any help would be greatly appretiated :)

Guest SeanyD300zxT

for z31 related problems....your best bet is z31.com

it's possible your airflow meter is fried, or you have a massive air leak....normal idle is down around 700....

anyway, head over there, an make sure to read the info that the site has available, you'll find (useful) information a lot quicker with a bit of searching

so i checked that site and it told me alot of stuff, but nothing for me to diagnose my problem, and i still haven't gotten my car to run correctly, could the fuel filter be partially clogged? perhaps the solenoid is kerputski, i guess by the lack of replies that no one else has had this particular problem :( well still any ideas are still very much appretiated:)

Have you searched through the fuel delivery section in the "Engine Components" forum?

I've never owned a FI car, so have no real expertise, however... everyone has opinions. :-)

You may be lucky enough that a simple filter change could do it (cheap to try), but a fuel pump or fuel injection system problem seems more likely. Is there a way to safely check fuel pump delivery volume? (FI pump pressures are high enough to splash gasoline everywhere if the pump is working properly and a line is just pulled off).

Good luck...

• 2 weeks later...

well i inspected some more after changing the fuel filter, i had a friend listen to the fuel pump while the car was running and the fuel pump dies after about a minute and a half of running time, would the fuel pump itself be buggered or would a sensor kick it out for some reason and if so what sensor? cuz we took off the fuel line and it had plenty of pressure when the pump was running. Would bypassing the computer by running a power wire between the ingition and the fuel pump solve my problem?

Generally speaking an electric HP fuel pump either works or doesn't. I know squat about the nissan 6s, but I seem to remember that the Air flow meter switches the fuel pump on? Maybe, as stated above the AFM is bad. Do as Mike says though, and get a manual so that you can intellegently troubleshoot your problem....

• 4 weeks later...

I have been researching something simular to this and in my book it says somthing about an acc valve located on the backside, on the drivers side, of the intake, their are two connectors on this valve which might need to be cleaned, For further accistance you can go to the web site z-car.net and look under tech help I hope this helps.