HybridZ

Honda 10,000 mile oil change?

Z-TARD

My wife recently purchased a new 05' Civic (I tried to talk her into getting a 350Z, but to no avail). Before leaving the dealership with it, they went over some of the maintenance requirements with us. I didn't really pay attention to most of it, because it's a Honda, and I plan on driving the tires off of it. The one tid bit I did happen to catch though, is that I'm not supposed to change the oil in this thing for the firrst 10,000 miles. Evidently there are "conditioners" in the oil that need lots of run time to soak into the metal. I realize that with synthetic oils, I can get away with changing the oil well beyond the 3,000 mile mark, but isn't this a bit excessive? My standard break in procedure with new cars is to run them for the first 500 miles with whatever crap oil they came with, and then change it with a high quality synthetic. The thought of running it for 20 times that long without an oil change makes me cringe. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Mike

ALL new bmw's go 15k between changes.

BUT, you can't break piston rings in with synthetics (normal synthetics) so companies usuaully come with non-synthetic to break the motor in. In the old days they told everyone to go 8k miles bewteen changed. I ever heard of a case (from a close friend of mine whom i trust) about a women who had never had her oil changed it a 8 year old car. Needless to say it was having mechanical issues. After a full drain the head was checked for valve issues and they seemed ok. So a new oil filter was put on and the lady was told to have her oil changed every 2k miles. After a year the woman came back and said the car was running as good as it was the day she bought it.

It's amazing what a motor can take sometimes.

Does it leak?

If you're putting a quart of oil in every couple of weeks, you're actually going through more oil than if you were changing your oil every 3k. A friend of mine with a ford bronco II hasn't changed his oil ever, and it looks cleaner than the oil in my car (wich needs to get changed, just passes 3k)

My brother had an 87 Toyota Pickup (project of ours that was abandoned) it had a sticker in the engine bay saying that the recomended oil change was every 10K. I thought that was a little wierd because we changed the oil when he bought it and it was only 2K after an oil change and the oil was trash. :confused2

someone might call bs on me, but my friend michael has never changed the oil in his 91 Ford Ranger, he is the original owner and it has 189k miles on it.

Yeah Im calling BS unless hes adding oil. Cause it would have burned all the oil that was in it from the factory by now. Still pretty hard to believe even if he's adding oil. You would think the motor would have sludged up by now and had some serious mechanical issues........but ya never know I guess...

Guy