HybridZ

Steel = Expensive.

MusPuppis

Called around today trying to get an estimate on the steel I'm gonna need for my pans and frame rails.. Jesus..

5ft x 5ft 18 guage sheet metal for the pans (I want atleast 2x what I will actually need. I need a LARGE margin for error) - 140$

14ft 2x3 square tube - 120$

Having never really bought steel before, I dunno if those prices are normal or not, but I was really expecting it to be alow lower for some reason. Like 100$-120$ for both items, heh.

Bleh.

That does seem overpriced. I've been buying some stuff from http://www.onlinemetals.com because they're about 15 minutes from my house. They are pretty overpriced IMO, and they have the 2 x 3 square tube .083 wall for $33.75 for a 7' long stick. They didn't have 18 gauge sheet on their website, but I'd bet that is about 1/2 the cost of what you're talking about from the other place.

Also a lot of places charge a LOT more if you have them cut the pieces down. You might want to check what the price is for a whole sheet of 18 gauge (probably 4' x 8'), and a whole stick of 2 x 3 (probably 20' long).

My sheet metal cost:

-4ft x 8ft 20 guage sheet metal for the pans fo 30$ USD

-20ft 2x3 square tube for 55$ USD

-Channel 20 ft 4x2 for 70$. I build a 12 tons press with that!!

This is in Canada, probably the same price as in the US. This is from the supplier directly, a huge Iron shop. Try to find a supplier in the yellow pages, stores like Home Depot will rip you off big time !! From a supplier steel is cheaper than you think!!

Erik

Yeah, Home Depo is even worse than the places I called.

I basicly went into the phone book and started at the first supplier listed and worked my way down, one by one. The price I listed above was the cheapest I found.

Oh well, Just gonna have to dig deep into mah pockets, lol.