HybridZ

how to add A/C to my 240z?

Guest traub83

Guest traub83

I have a 240z that is non ac from the factory, I however am wanting to update my car a lot while im rebuilding it and add ac to it. I am going to be running a 350 sbc in it so I know I will have to get a SBC compressor but what else will I need to buy and what will I have to do to make it work right?? I figure if im going to make this a nice show car, with some power I might as well make it cumfy to drive in no matter what the weather plus having a sweet AC system is prob worth a few points at shows!

I don't know what sbc is, I'm assuming it means small block. What I asume that you would need would be the pump, the evaporator, the heater that has the AC component on it and the vent control panel for one that came with AC. The non AC is different then the AC version.

I have a 240z that is non ac from the factory, I however am wanting to update my car a lot while im rebuilding it and add ac to it. I am going to be running a 350 sbc in it so I know I will have to get a SBC compressor but what else will I need to buy and what will I have to do to make it work right?? I figure if im going to make this a nice show car, with some power I might as well make it cumfy to drive in no matter what the weather plus having a sweet AC system is prob worth a few points at shows!

You can do what I did. I got a 240Z evaporator and control switch from eBay. This evaporator fits under the dash on the passenger side and hooks up to the original heater blower setup. Then we used a GM style compressor, new dryer and condensor and ran new lines, etc.

Works pretty well. Once I get the Honda blower motor installed, it should be great!

I did the same thing as qwik240z - the main problem was the hoses, but once I found a shop to do that work, all came together nicely. I *did* manage to build in a leak somewhere, though, so it worked for three days then quit - but chasing down problems like that are part and parcel for any kind of custom installation.

The Honda fan, though, isn't all that ... it's an improvement, but that's all. Not "Katrina power" or anything.

You don't need an SBC compressor, just a bracket, although you might have to make one, and I'm not too old to remember how daunting that sounds, sorry. The best bet is modify a later model car (like late 90's +) to the car and then you can use R134a and will have nice cold reliable air. I don't trust those "kits" I tried one and $500 later it only lasted 1 yesr. total bs.

Guest traub83

well summit makes SBC compressors that are already setup to use r134 I was plannin on buyin one of those but it looks as tho my plans may be takin a detour here since my stuff got all robbed!!! check my post out on v8 chevy performance thread for more info on that!!

The easiest way to get AC in your Z is.......roll your windows down at around 80 mph!

Or buy one that already has it! Windows down at 80 mph is fine when it's 85 out but, pardon the pun, not too cool when it's 105 - then it's more like a blast furnace!

I don't know what sbc is, I'm assuming it means small block. What I asume that you would need would be the pump, the evaporator, the heater that has the AC component on it and the vent control panel for one that came with AC. The non AC is different then the AC version.

Sorry got my terms mixed up. When I ment evaporator I ment heat exchanger.

I believe the vintage air universal version is going to run about $700.