HybridZ

ZG Flares, take a quick looksy

Guest Brismo7

Guest Brismo7

Blueovalz: yeah there is a ton of room in there. litterally half the engine bay(in stock rotory form) is taken up by the fan shroud.

Rudy: yeah, i'm a big foxbody mustang guy(85 mustang was my first car). so the 302 seemed to be the perfect choice. i would like to try my hand at an Ls1 powered FC next. there is only one thing kinda stopping me besides the price. my FB. i'm thinking like this: my FB is kinda old and an FC has a much more updated look, but i look at your guys' 240z's and i think "man, what cool cars". so i'm kinda torn between cool 80's vintage(my 84 Rx-7) or cool 80's sport compact(FC Rx-7). if i can get my car looking like that grey one i posted on top, then i'm definitely going to be keeping my FB for a long time. ahh dilemas. lol

Muspuppis: yeah, i really like the 302 and the huge aftermarket of parts for it. for a while, i was jealous of all these Ls1 Rx-7's making 400hp with exhaust and a cam, but i got thinking, people make foxbody mustangs do 12's with 300rwhp. the mustang weighs around 3200lbs, where as my Rx-7 weighs 2500lbs. you do the math lol. i know of a guy with a chevy powerd Rx-7 like mine with 350hp(dyno'd) and weighs about 2500#'s and he is a low 11 second car. something like 11.2 Thats just nuts. really my goal is to have a daily driven 12 second street car.

sorry for the ranting. i just love talking about my car, as i'm sure we all do. once you get me going, its hard for me to stop lol.

~Steve

sorry for the ranting. i just love talking about my car' date=' as i'm sure we all do. once you get me going, its hard for me to stop lol.

~Steve[/quote']

I don't think anyone here will mind.

Yea, the stock 5.0 motors can get well into the 500 range without pulling the block apart. 12 seconds will be easy to reach with small mods, so no worries there. Just make sure it can stop too 8)

Well i think 500 is about the limit before really beefing up internals and what not. At that point the 351 starts to make more sense from what i read. What is sweet imho is that you can get a brand new 302 with all the goodies and 300 hp for $1800 and for $2300 you get 340 and $3k 370 hp, at central coast. I just like that company in general but what im getting at is with the ton of after market support, decent power, lightweight, and its proven durability, it is a killer engine to swap into a wide variety of cars. But each to his own chevy is cool too

Yea, the stock 5.0 motors can get well into the 500 range without pulling the block apart

I wouldnt recommend it. I wouldnt push more than about 450 through a 5.0 before working the internals. If it was an only car, or a heavily used DD I would beef it up around the 400 flat mark.

The 5.0 is a great engine. Relatively small and light weight (for what it is, heh) HUGE HUGE aftermarket support and inexpensive parts. Very strong engine. In stock form though the block can be a tad dodgy when your making big numbers. I know more than one person thats ended their engines life by pushing into the mid to upper 400's.

I got to know these engines pretty well when my trucks non-roller 5.0 finally gave up.

I like them alot as Z swap candidates but the 350 swap has so much more support and available parts its the better choice (imo) for most poeple.

But really, ya cant go wrong with the 5.0.

Guest Brismo7

well i got awesome news. i got her running today. with open headers(and the mid H pipe) this thing sounds like a beast. just absolutely.....pants wetting. i love it. here before i make a novel, it might just be easier to post the link of my oringinal "she runs post": http://www.torquecentral.com/showthread.php?t=31715

but yeah, i'm super excited. i cant wait to start driving it. early this week no doubt. who knows, maybe i'll grow some balls and make it drivable by tomarrow lol.

~Steve

Yea, I guess i'd only go over 400hp on stock internals if it was a GT40 to begin with. The stock heads have poor exhast flow wich can force the internals to take more stress for the same power as an easy breathing motor. Even then if you want to be safe you would want to keep it in the low 400 range.

It's amazing how well the GT40 motors were built though. There are plenty of 93 cobra owners who run low 400hp on supercharged setups and they're simply amazing cars with that much power.

Brismo, just take it easy on her at first ok? ;)

Guest Dorifto

Argh ... now I regret selling my '79 Rx7. I had THREE 5.0 longblocks in my backyard at the time. I've decided my FC Rx7 is staying rotary-powered [daily-driver, believe it or not], and my Zed is staying with a worked L28E[T]. The [T] meaning originally not turbocharged, but is now. :D

Really, I think the 5.0 swap is great for an early Rex - almost as insane as a 2JZ-GTE swap.

Brismo, you've made me want ZG flares on my FC now ... all about the simple, elegant, mid-'80s JDM mods here. Then there's the Zed as a track car ...

I'd better stop before I get ahead of myself. :D

-Dave-O

Guest Brismo7

lol. i know what you mean. i'm always getting ahead of myself.

if you guys read that other thread i posted, i just want to let you know i fixed the belt problem. next is the cooling system. i'm having a small leak on the upper radiator hose. but i think i might have fixed that. i lowerd the radiator for the hose to clear the belt, and it made the upper hose fit better, but when i ran it to make sure, i forgot to put on the radiator cap. so there wasnt any pressure in the system. so i need to recheck that.

Gollum: yeah 400 hp might be a bit much in a car like this(i'm young, 22. i honestly dont need break neck speeds.....yet). right now, my goals are to get it to 300 whp, and see what she does. hell, i still havent driven her yet. i want to see what she does now! lol

Dorifto: yeah, i'm super siked and happy, that i did this swap. i'm really proud of myself. but there are people that i have to thank, becuase with out them i wouldnt have been able to do it on my own. first my father in law. awesome guy, great mechanic. he does a great job at doing things "Mexican Style" lol. heres a pic of me and him a couple minutes after dropping the motor in:

27420000025-thumb.jpg

secondly is Dan. Danzan149 over on TC. super cool guy. he has an LS1 FD Rx-7, which he did himself. dan is amazing with wiring. to him it just clicks. here is a picture of him i took, when we first met:

27716080641-thumb.jpg

and then there are countless others over on torquecentral, that helped me with diagrams, their own personal experiences, tips and tricks...

now i just need to make sure everything is the way it should, tighten all my bolts, clean up the wiring on the inside, run it underneath the carpet. just make everything sound. but, i dont expect to be daily driving it for a little while. i want to make sure all the bugs are out, before i do something stupid like take it on the freeway.

again, thanks for all the compliments guys, it really means alot.

~Steve