HybridZ

Automatic Cars EVERYWHERE

rudypoochris

Just wondering why are manufacturers blotting out manual transmissions in luxury cars? In 2000 my family wanted to buy a lexus gs300 with a stick shift and they said no can do, it has never been offered. Seems kind of crazy to me? It is just so much funner to drive in my opinion. Plus ontop of that the higher hp models (taking into account lexus still) such as the brand new IS 350, aren't offered with a stick, but their lesser hp (IS 250) counter parts are? What gives? Why does the car with lesser performance get the stick vs the higher performance car that gets the auto (granted it is padel shift but imho all lexus trannies shift SLOW so it isnt really a performance feature, atleast leave the option of a stick). This isn't just a lexus thing just using them as an example.

Guest bastaad525

you, me, and every car magazine that has done any article on the new Lexus IS all feel the same way :D

no manual, and if I remember correctly, no AWD offered with the high HP engine (both are offered with the weaker version) = big mistake on the part of Lexus. They have a real BMW/Infiniti G35 killer on their hands but are totally shooting themselves in the foot by not offering a 6 spd.

They only make what sells. Most people who want (and more importantly can afford) a heavy, luxury car also want an automatic, AC, PS, GPS navigation, quiet interior, overstuffed seats yada yada. Even if they offered a manual, they would probably sell 5000 autos for each manual. Even then, dealers wouldn't stock them because they would take too long to sell. It would be all special order. So why bother?

I agree. There is a reason BMW wins comparison tests: drivetrain. BMW comes out on top when it comes to performance oriented buyers. 3/5/6/X/Z/M are ALL offered with a manual. Lexus, Mercedes, etc could all take note here.

When the (199?) Dodge RT (5.9) trucks first came out I was interested in one. Went to the dealership and this old guy comes out and starts telling me about the truck. I ask if I can get one with a stick, he tells me strait to my face that they don't make a manual tranny that can handle that much power. I looked him strait in the eyes and and laphed in his face and left. All I could think to myself is Dodge can't make an auto tranny that can handle any kind of hp.

that they don't make a manual tranny that can handle that much power

HAH! Nice one.

Yeah, Automatics make me sad, but the companys are gonna make what sells and auto's sell. Beamers get away with manuals cause the beamer crowd is a little more performance oriented than the Lexus/Benz/Etc crowd.

Dodge cant make a good auto? My F-150 has the Ford 4R70w in it. Wanna talk about a peice of ****.. My god. No doubt Dodge's auto's suck to, but I dunno that theres much that holds a candle to my 4R. I could shat in an empty tranny housing and hook it up and it'd probably perform better, lol.

Well i know the IS 350 isn't the most performance orientated car, but lexus is certainly trying to push for that image. I would assume that at least half the people intrested in buying a factory 306hp car would also atleast be a little intrested in a stick. Even if only 1/10 people buy it, I think it will do alot more for their image, plus it should steal away from the BMW crowd. I like how when the 350z was first released it was only available in stick, I thought that was a nifty counter ?culture? movement.

What is the problem with automatics? My th350, with a manual valvebody, will do anything that a standard will do (except miss shifts). As far as mopar not being a good transmission, I think that a 727 Torqueflite will handle more horsepower than any of the new cars make.

it is not that there is anything wrong with automatics at all. Quite contrary they are good for many things. But for me i prefer the directness of the manual. I hate flooring the gas in the gs300 only to wait .5-1.5 seconds for it to drop the gear and acctually go anywhere. Plus i can never be in the gear i want out of a turn (this car doesnt have tiptronic). It just feels distinctly unsporty. Not that the gs300 is the most sporty car, but the 92' Explorer with 5 speed i drive is more of a pleasure imho then driving the gs300. Thats all.

icon1.gifWhy a stick in a land yacht?

What is the problem with automatics? My th350, with a manual valvebody, will do anything that a standard will do (except miss shifts). As far as mopar not being a good transmission, I think that a 727 Torqueflite will handle more horsepower than any of the new cars make.

Well, for starters you can't push start an automatic!

Secondly, you can't truely "gear-down" an automatic like a manual becauce it's a "fluid-coupling vs. a mechanical!

And finally, while an automatic multiplies torque, it also eats more power because the fluid coupling is less efficient!

My personal opinon is that automatics are for trucks and individuals who can't shift or are to lazy!:)

Mark

all companys are trying to get away from reg ole manuals..

its considered "old news" to them and they think padel shifters are the wave of the future... i drove a Ferrari 360 F1 with the padel shifter.... i didnt like it. it was still fun because i was in a ferrari but still, i loved the reg ole gated shifter sooooo much more and even they arent that great.

mike

all companys are trying to get away from reg ole manuals..

its considered "old news" to them and they think padel shifters are the wave of the future... i drove a Ferrari 360 F1 with the padel shifter.... i didnt like it. it was still fun because i was in a ferrari but still' date=' i loved the reg ole gated shifter sooooo much more and even they arent that great.

mike[/quote']

thought i was the only one left who thinks paddle shifters are a joke. Whew.

just becuase they're not fun doesn't mean they're not fast ;)

I'm a stick kinda guy though. Even in traffic a good hydrolic clutch is as easy as any automatic for me.

Look on the bright side. Most junkyard motors will never have seen anything close to redline and will have always shifted low around town :) I think will make the realiability of junkyard motors a lot better.

Well' date=' for starters you can't push start an automatic!

Secondly, you can't truely "gear-down" an automatic like a manual becauce it's a "fluid-coupling vs. a mechanical!

And finally, while an automatic multiplies torque, it also eats more power because the fluid coupling is less efficient!

My personal opinon is that automatics are for trucks and individuals who can't shift or are to lazy!:)

Mark[/quote']

This is not neccesarily true, i've push started an auto before. If you get it goin u can drop it into low gear and stomp the gas and the torque converter will lock up and turn the engine over-i've done this on a few occasions with the Z and once on a 97' skylark, so its not just my Z.

just becuase they're not fun doesn't mean they're not fast ;)

I'm a stick kinda guy though. Even in traffic a good hydrolic clutch is as easy as any automatic for me.

Look on the bright side. Most junkyard motors will never have seen anything close to redline and will have always shifted low around town :) I think will make the realiability of junkyard motors a lot better.

More and more im thinking driving a car hard isn't so bad. I don't know it always seems like the ones that were driven soft and pampered are the first to go. The explorer i drive has 170k miles on the first engine no rebuild and it sees about 300 rpms short of redline pretty much weekly if not every other day. Definatly 1000 short of redline everytime. Everything is going fine. Also that tech article on driving hard to break it in also gave me a new perspective on things. Im not going to thrash the break in on the next car i get but atleast ill try all different corners of the powerband, everything in moderation, even moderation i guess.

back on topic, i don't understand how the car manufacturers can see sticks as "old news" when the next generation seems to be infatuated with cars? Granted these people aren't going to be buying luxury or more expensive cars now (which explains the lack of manual) but many normal cars don't offer them. And trying to get one on a truck/suv now adays is ridiculous. The nissan xterra seems to be the only one that offers good HP and a stick, the rest seem to offer a stick only when the output sucks.

Well, for starters you can't push start an automatic!

So, this high dollar car can't be depended on to start?? rthe realon you can't push start a modern automatic isn't the fluid coupling but the lack if a rear pump that is the problem. The early Hydromatics could be push started.

My personal opinon is that automatics are for trucks and individuals who can't shift or are to lazy!

You must mean those wussy little pickups that Lexus guys buy to haul ther motorcycles around. My truck has an 18 speed. If it ain't a Peterbilt, it ain't a truck.;)