HybridZ

Sourcing a Taurus Fan Motor

Bartman

I've got everything wired up correctly on my Taurus fan, and it was working most of the time. It stopped working the other day, and after checking everything out it appears the motor is bad.

My question is where can I get a good deal on just a fan motor (or maybe I'm better off getting a complete unit with shroud). On eBay there are several complete fans with shroud going for $49.95 plus $14.00 shipping. I've found a few parts stores with just fan motors for around $100 (but, then you're getting a brand new motor). I could also go by Ecology and see if I can find one myself, but if I do I don't know how much they will charge me.

Should I just get one of the fans off eBay?

I got three during the last 50% off day at ecology. If you want to swing by, I will give you one at what I paid for it......(~$20 I think)
So the going price at Ecology is around $40 then? That makes the eBay one sound like a pretty good deal.

I appreciate the offer Tim, but it's probably easier for me to get the unit from eBay than to swing by your place (around 70 miles each way).

Thank You, I'm just about ready to click the "buy it now", but wonder about hooking her up... is it pretty easy?

I'll have to search the subject and see....

So the going price at Ecology is around $40 then?

Bart,

The everyday price is $20. Go to the ecology center in Rialto or Fontana. The last time I was there they had a pile of fans in a bin and I just grabbed a 2-speeder and walked out after paying $19 something for it. I also bought another one later, as a spare, that I removed from a 91 Taurus. There were several other cars with the same fans also. Just make sure the fan is from a 3.8 liter, has 3 wires, a ground, a larger and a smaller gauge wire.

Hanns

I picked up a fan yesterday at Ecology in Fontana. Luckily I paid 5 bucks extra for the warranty, because it doesn't work either. I'm grounding the ground wire and just applying normal battery current to the other lines (one at a time) and getting nothing. When I put a test light in the circuit it lights up, so I think I'm testing the motor corectly.

I'll go back next weekend and find another one. The one I found was already removed, so maybe that wasn't a good sign. It also had a damaged shroud, so I thought I would get a better price but it didn't seem to make any difference (it looks like any fan and shroud assembly is a flat $19.95).

This time I'm going to pull one in better condition.

When I put a test light in the circuit it lights up, so I think I'm testing the motor corectly.

Bart,

Did you test the fan with the stock wire terminal attached? I did that and my fan didn't work. Then I cut off the terminals and using the bare wire-ends, contacted the battery. "Voila", the fan worked.

I got the best fan by checking out the Junkyard "Tauri" and selecting the nicest looking shroud and noting the odometer mileage of the donor car. Also checked that there was no excessive fan motor sloppiness or off-center rotation.

The "Taurus Fan Meister" is willing to go to the junkyard with the "Taurus Fan Rookie" to show him the proper method of selecting the "Primo" example of Tauri fans. Let me know when you are going because I might get another one for myself since I only have 3 good ones ,now:roll: :roll: .

Hanns

The same thing happened to my fan , I used the factory connector, and it was faulty. I cut the connector off and it worked. I think that's why the tauruas' are there. You know the connector goes bad, the fan stops,the motor over heats and away it goes to the junkyard.

The factory connector is still on the fan, so I will try to remove it and then test it again. If it still doesn't want to spin, I plan on going back to Ecology Saturday morning (and I'd welcome the "Taurus Fan Meister"). I'll test it out again tonight and let you know the results.

By removing the factory connector the fan I got last weekend works, but I still need to go back and trade it in on another one. There are slight differences (diameter of the shaft for one) that prevent me from swapping the motor and putting on my existing shroud and fan blade.

This time I'm going to find a complete unit with a good shroud, fan blade and motor.

Bartman and Turbomeister' date=' which yards do you go to? I go to Wilmington but want a change of scenery.

If anyone remembers, I ended up with some wrong fans.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=104081&highlight=Owen

If the motors are the same, you can take one of mine.

Owen

For this adventure I went to Ecology in Fontana. I've gone to the one in Santa Fe Springs before, but I like the one in Fontana much better. I saw a lot of good cars to get parts from including a ZX. One of the Taurii was a SHO and it looked like the V8 engine was still intact.

Bartman and Turbomeister, which yards do you go to? I go to Wilmington but want a change of scenery.

Owen,

I like Rialto even better than Fontana. They had more fans than Fontana and there was a 73 Z there, also. The Z had no engine so I bought the crossmember as a spare, but I doubt the Z is still there.

Bart,

What time are you going on Saturday?

Hanns

Hanns and I went back to Ecology Saturday morning to get another fan. The warranty worked out great, and I had another fan picked out in no time. It tested out fine when I got it home, and within an hour or two I had it cleaned up and installed.