HybridZ

1/4 mile times posted

I did the best i could guys. Close, but no 11's :-(

Best: 12.004@114.62mph

12.004!!! Unreal. That close to 11's and not getting it! O'well. I made seven runs tonight. Here's how it went...

8:14pm - 12.413@112.98 - 2.018 60ft

8:25pm - 12.309@113.31 - 2.004 60ft

9:03pm - 12.330@114.02 - 1.980 60ft

9:15pm - 12.110@112.98 - 1.815 60ft

9:37pm - 12.201@114.21 - 1.957 60ft

9:44pm - 12.004@114.62 - 1.786 60ft

9:50pm - 12.014@114.77 - 1.887 60ft

I was in line, next to go to make one more run before the track closed @ 10pm and the GSXR1100 that went in front of me wiped out about halfway down the track. He was alright but they shut the track down. Best i could do on the T3. I'll scan the timeslip in this weekend.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, stock T3. Thanks but i REEEEAAALLLYY wanted 11's before i rip it down for the winter. Tonight was the last "street night" when only street legal cars can run but... they do run on weekends until the end of November. Hmmmm... lol.

Hey guys, thanks. Just spoke to the wife and explained how close i was and that they have a test/tune on November 13th that i'd like ONE MORE TRY :) So, i just may go for it once more this year. Need to really look into that two-step to build boost off the line. Sounds like that would help. You're right Terry, once i really let that clutch out and the 60' came down, the 1/4et was really effected. I had lin-loc but didn't use it at the tree last night, just for the burn out. I had the video camera strapped inside the Z but haven't looked at it yet. I doubt it'll show much but if it's good, i'll post it. I ran BFG drag radials 236/60/15's @ 18psi. Hooked nicely. Here's my setup right now:

STOCK

'82 L28ET & ECU

T3 (@ 19psi last night)

P90

3.54/CV's

'82 5sp

MODS

NPR IC

1G DSM BOV

Act clutch/PP

MSD 6a

370cc inj

AFM sping tightened 18 teeth

235/60/15 BFG Dr's

2.5" DP to 3" exhaust

MSD FPR

Walboro 255lpr pump

Mind you, this is NOT a safe setup and i'm sure i was pushing the limits and then some, but it's just the way i want to run while trying to hit an 11 before i do the upgrades i have in the garage and be safe again. I haven't seen anyone do it and someone told me it wasn't possible, which is why i'm still at it :) Thanks again guys.

I hope so too Z-Gad! I just want to hit it and actully do some upgrades! That would def help Thumper but it's my daily/fair weather driver and trying to basically run it the way i drive it on the street. I was launching @ around 4500-5000rpm and slipping the clutch very little at the end of the night when i was pulling the best 60' times. What burns me is that on the last run i made, the DR's slid a little off the line which i lost a tenth on the 60' which would have put me into an 11sec 1/4. All in fun i guess. Thanks.

what you set your PSI in the tires?

whats your timing at?

running just pump 93 gas?

if you would have put some 104 or higher in there, bump the boost up to around 21.. wouldnt do it more then that, and prob would lower it after the run it would that 11.

thumpers Z was faster at a 20 to 21 psi spike then his reg 18 or 19psi..

mike

Hey Mike. 18psi in the DR's, stock timing (20) and i did add 2 gallons of 104 to the 4 gallons of 92 i had in there. I was pinging right at the end through the trap so i didn't want to raise the boost much more. I also couldn't raise the fuel pressure past 42lbs @ idle with the MSD FPR for some reason. Have to look into that. I'm not sure if the ping was from not enough fuel pressure (est 61lb @ 19psi) or that the 370 injectors were jusy maxed out. Could also have been because of the 9000deg air the T3 was forcing into the cylinders! ha.

When my car was running the stock efi and 370cc I played around with Mikes wideband and found most of the time I couldn't get my car lean enough. I was running 18 teeth tightened and 30 psi with vacuum and 38 no vacuum at idle. I didn't have any boost leaks and my head temp sensor was brand new. So my guess is either the 370 were maxed out but probably not or the timing was a tad bit to high. I don't think the stock t3 can max out 370cc injectors trust me i've tried. So next time you go the track and hear pinging back off the timing one or two and see if this helps. If not then the t3 is just too hot up there.

So when you say you were running 19psi this was when you were going down the track or when you set it on the street. On my car I noticed a big difference in boost when I would race from a stop and from when I would just punch it on the street. 2-3 psi usually. Also what was your boost by redline? Just wondering to see what I will have to do. I'll probably wait intill a buy a new turbo and then turn the t3 up to 21psi and see how long it lasts:twisted:

Thanks for reminding me about the tooth adjustment on the AFM. I added that to the MODS section i've done above. So, you couldn't get it LEAN enough through the RPM range or just @ idle? All i've ever read is that is goes balls lean somewhere around 5k rpm with the stock ECM. I usuall have the fuel pressure @ 38 at idle with the vacuum attached and could only get it up to 42 when at the track. I will try backing off the timing a little next time i go. One thing's for sure, that L28 was heating up pretty damn quick. At the lights the temp gauge was a line above cold. At the end of the 1/4 the temp gauge was nearing 3/4! lol. Not safe, i know.

19psi was just for the track. That was the highest the gauge went, near the end of the track, when the most load was on the motor in 4th gear. I run around 16 on the street.

Could you explain the tall front tire idea? I'm sorta new to drag racing (gone about 6 times) Also, the clock starts when you break the beam so reaction time doesn't count. Just the way they do it for street-night i guess. Thought i'd mention it in case it has any bearing on your shallow stage recommendation. If it doesn't, could you explain that as well? Thanks. Always willing to learn to be faster :)

Thanks for reminding me about the tooth adjustment on the AFM. I added that to the MODS section i've done above. So, you couldn't get it LEAN enough through the RPM range or just @ idle? All i've ever read is that is goes balls lean somewhere around 5k rpm with the stock ECM. I usuall have the fuel pressure @ 38 at idle with the vacuum attached and could only get it up to 42 when at the track. I will try backing off the timing a little next time i go. One thing's for sure, that L28 was heating up pretty damn quick. At the lights the temp gauge was a line above cold. At the end of the 1/4 the temp gauge was nearing 3/4! lol. Not safe, i know.

It was too rich all through the rpm range even at 6k. Even on the ghetto beast when I dynoed it at 23psi it was at 12.5:1 and I had the afm at 18 teeth and fpr 30psi with vacuum. But I would either dyno it or get a wideband because maybe your head temp sensor is off or your fuel injectors aren't flowing correctly etc...

I think you might have a problem with cooling. Even when I was doing high speed runs full throttle for 30-40seconds in 90 degree and 70%humidity weather my gauge would not move more than 15 degrees on an autometer. Check to make sure your radiator is even on the heat. A.K.A. put your hand on different parts of the radiator while it is warm and make sure they are all the same temp. Then you might want to run a 170 or 160 thermostat. Higher psi radiator cap. 30% water 70% coolant etc... Good luck

Could you explain the tall front tire idea? I'm sorta new to drag racing (gone about 6 times) Also, the clock starts when you break the beam so reaction time doesn't count. Just the way they do it for street-night i guess. Thought i'd mention it in case it has any bearing on your shallow stage recommendation. If it doesn't, could you explain that as well? Thanks. Always willing to learn to be faster :)

Shallow staging helps your e.t. because you start moving alitle before you untrip the beams. So in fact your are going 1-2mph before the timer starts. If you deep stage then this can help your reaction time.