HybridZ

Electric fan wiring

green260z

I have tried doing some searching before asking I did not find exactly what I need. I just bought a 14" Proform Electric fan. What I am trying to do is get rid of my clutch fan and install this one. The wiring has me a little confused, how is the best way to wire this.

A) should I wire this so that it is on anytime the engine is on.

B) or should I wire this so that it is controlled by the thermostat.

If I could get some feed back on which is better and how to do hook the wiring up I would be very thankfull.

What this is going on is a 74 260z

Thank you much, Please help

On my son's car we installed 2 electric fans (12") to a relay and a thermostat switch that based on water/air temp next to the radiator it causes the relay to turn on the fans. I like this set up because it allows the engine to warm up to operating temperature and only run the fans when needed. You have control over the internal water temp in the engine by selecting the desired temp range for the thermostat. I feel that tuning of the engine has improved do to the consistency of the engine operating temp. We are actually considering the installation of a third pusher fan up front before the intercooler to assist even further specially when sitting in metro Orlando traffic.

I used the thermostat out of a 240SX lower rad hose. Has a steel fitting with the thermostat right in it. Just cut about a 1" section out of the lower hose and you're good to go. Wired that to a relay, and grabbed power direct from the battery. Simple and works well. My switch kicks the thermostat on at 212º and turns it off around 190º.

I’d just like to add that if you have AC then you should make sure that the electric fan is turned on when the AC is on. Otherwise you will damage your compressor. This is easily accomplished by adding a wire with a diode from the AC compressor clutch to the fan relay.

i just wired our fan up to a toggle switch. i did not want it controlled by a thermostat at all. we very rarely even need to have the fan on, but half the thermostats out there are garbage and i have had a few fail.
same here, but i used the holes where the mirror adjustment switches went.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rspiecha

Take a look at the Flex-a-lite VSC (variable speed controller) with an electronic probe that gets pushed into the core of the radiator below the top inlet water hose. You can adjust the temperature with a screw driver. Starts the fan/fans at 60 percent to reduce stress on electrical system. Ramps up to 100 percent if temp continues to rise. Has connections for A/C and a manual override for turning on or off.

Costs $79 from jegs.

Some pictures http://zcar.dnsalias.com/graphics/electricfan/

Rob