HybridZ

Odd Squeek when car is in gear and moving

CarolinaZ

Here is the deal. When I engage the clutch, press the acelerator and begin moving there is a squeek that sounds like its coming from the left rear wheel. Let off the gas and coast the squeek goes away, give it gas and as the wheel rotates you hear the squeek. So its only when the I give it gas do I hear the noise.

Engage clutch, move , noise, coast, no noise.

I cant coast all over town either so that eliminates that idea..

Anyone have an idea , is it in the wheel or the drive shaft or the differential possibly.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

My car did something similar when i would gas it in 1st then put in the clutch to go to second and it would make a squeek or chrip sound. I checked my mounts and the diff had actually come off the mount. I replaced the mount and m/bar bushings and changed out the gear oil to lucas and no more squeeking. I still dont know which of the three caused the chrip.

Where is jmortensen when you need him :hail:

Where is jmortensen when you need him :hail:

:lol: Right here. Got no idea what that noise is though... sorry.

I can't think of anything in the wheel that would only react during acceleration. Diff possibly. Maybe one of these pages will help if it is diff related.

http://www.ringpinion.com/content/technicalhelp/default.asp?pid=109

http://www.ringpinion.com/content/technicalhelp/default.asp?pid=110

Could it be a worn brake shoe thts not disengaging properly?

Had a brake job on the car about 200 miles ago, front pads and rear shoes, think Im gonna take it back to the guy who did the brake job for one, but if that were the case wouldnt it still do it regardless of the clutch being engaged or not. Im thinking also the diff needs cleaned out and put in Lucas gear oil to see if that does anything , the noise just came out of nowhere, not there one day , then started the next

Thanks for the info guys I really appreciate it.

• 1 month later...

The guy who did your brakes prolly had to hammer off the brake drum...which can ruin them BTW...

He bent the lip of the dust shield riveted to the backing plate... It runs very close to the lip of the drum... It is simple to fix...

With some slop in your rear bearings the car will squeak when certain conditions are applied..IT could just as well squeak when you coast or lightly apply brakes...but doing that under acceleration is typical...

well... considering he just had his brakes done and now the complaint has come up....You would have to be loopy to even consider just "tryin out" some new U-joints....

Someone been smokin joints... not U-joints.

This reminds me of a fella in our club that spent close to $1000 on MSD, ITG filters, plugs, wires, hose, electric pump in front to replace the mechanical pump, LABOR at a shop....all because he lost power at high RPM..

Turns out I fixed it at an event... between sessions by cleaning the original REAR ASSIST PUMP FILTER... FOR FREE IN 5 MINUTES.

Some folks love to ""IMPROVE"" things.... not ever fix them....

Jack up the rear.... remove wheel... look closely at the dust shield that covers the outer lip of the drum.... It will be bent in many places as you look around the circumference of the drum...old age...

Go back to tool box....get a flat blade screwdriver and pry out the worst of the dents... DO NOT OVERBEND TO clearance the lip... It is thin and you will pull it out out of shape somewhere else....It is just thin sheet metal...

If you are able to remove the drum by yourself... then you will see shiny spots on the edge of the drum and the shield.... again.. easy to spot and fix...

For all you naysayers...

How many of you have drum bakes on your Z... really...