HybridZ

Exhaust Question???

Bimmerman

I am trying to pick out what exhuast to run on my V8Z. I want somethint with a good sound but on the quieter side. I know nothing is going to be really quite, but as quiet as I can get with out too much restriction. I was thinking about going with Borla mufflers? What is everyone running? How do you like it? Now that you have it would you change if you could?

I've currently got Borla Stingers on the Vette with 3 inch exhaust, custom Xpipe after the catalytic converts and it is kinda loud... When I had the 383 Stroker running in the Z, I was running block hugger headers and 2.5 inch exhaust back to twin 3 chamber flowmasters and that was L-O-U-D! I'm a Dynomax fan, myself. I'd thinkn about using a couple of those small bullet mufflers in the trans tunnel area as some guys have done, and then go to a pair of traditional mufflers in the rear of the car. that would give a little more noise relief. :2thumbs:

Mike

I've got flowmaster super-delta-40 in the stock location, and a 3" resonator (glasspack) just after the Y. I'm running block huggers to 2.5" each side then 3" back after the Y it's about as big as you can go with the t56 hogging the trans tunnel. After the Y there is more room, but you sacrifice diameter for ground clearance. It's way too loud, you can hear it coming a mile away. Not exactly a sleeper.

I got a spiral muffler which I'm planning on putting in the 3" section just behind the rear wheel. If it's still too loud... I'm considering adding a cat seriously! :twak:

E006_Exhaust_Install.JPG

E007_Exhaust_Install.JPG

E008_Exhaust_Install.JPG

E004_Exhaust_Install.JPG

I am trying to pick out what exhuast to run on my V8Z. I want somethint with a good sound but on the quieter side. I know nothing is going to be really quite, but as quiet as I can get with out too much restriction. I was thinking about going with Borla mufflers? What is everyone running? How do you like it? Now that you have it would you change if you could?

Borlas are nice but expensive. Dynomax makes nice straight through glass pack type mufflers in stainless. I think Magnaflow makes then in aluminized steel. Stay away from Flowmaster (flowdisaster) unless you want noise with out perfomance. I have yet to see a test were they out performed (backpressure) any straight through muffler and they are loud.

I'm running dual Magnaflows dumping just before the axle. They really take a bite out of the sound, but at full throttle they will blow your head off. The car drones really bad, but i suspect that routing the exhaust to the rear would solve that. There are some pics of the mufflers in the following thread. They tuck up real nice.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=104539