HybridZ

"S" terminal on starter solenoid?

Can someone help me what the "S" terminal is? Im doing the wiring for the JTR V8 swap It says connect the black/white to the "S" terminal on the starter solenoid (72 240 and 350 chevy with HEI). I found it mentioned quite a bit, but never explained it. Is it the smaller of the 2 terminals? Thankzzz

S- Is for Start and R- is for run.

When you turn your key all the way on you send power to the S wire that ingauges your starter and spins the motor.

When you let off the key after the motor is running on its own the power stops going into the S wire and stays going into the R wire allowing the car to continue to run...

Does that make sense?

That's not how it works, the "R" terminal is a leftover from the oldskool way of building cars. No Chevy V8's have actually used the R terminal since the very early 70's You see that terminal is for a car equipped with a points style distributor. Those ignition systems require a ballast resistor or the coil would fry itself in a short period of time. The "R" terminal is a bypass to allow full voltage to the coil during startup. I didn't bother explaining the purpose of the R terminal because it is of no use these days. (unless you are actually running a points style distributor?)

Accually I miss posted it should read "connect BLACK/yellow to the S terminal. I have 2 terminals the cable from the battery and the larger white wire go to the large lug on the starter, so Im assuming (there is that word again) the black/yellow goes to the other. I can't see any "R" or "S" on the starter solenoid.This is also an HEI set up

I removed the starter today to get a better look at the soleinoid. I missed it before but it was marked with an "s". Thanks again. Only 2 remaining wires to go and they are both black and white and go the the HEI. I just have to figure which is which because they are not marked and no protective sleeve. Then im good to go.

There are only two wires that go to the HEI. (other than the 3 that go from the base to the cap) Of the two, one is to power the HEI unit and has 12+ when the ignition switch is turned to "ON" You can easily check for that with a test light. The remaining wire is the one that goes to your tachometer.

• 1 year later...
There are only two wires that go to the HEI. (other than the 3 that go from the base to the cap) Of the two, one is to power the HEI unit and has 12+ when the ignition switch is turned to "ON" You can easily check for that with a test light. The remaining wire is the one that goes to your tachometer.

Can the HEI draw power from any 12V keyed source? I'm doing a 280zx, so it's a different beast than the S30's as far as wiring. Should I just one of the 12V wires from the now redundant ignition relay?

Any 12 volt source will power the HEI, BUT; Whatever you use, it MUST stay live 12v even with the key in the 'start' position. It took me an hour chasing wires to figure this out after I got my rx7 back (sold it two years ago to a friend, bought it back last summer) in non-running condition. Every time I cranked it, the 12v to the ignition cut off, so I got no spark and a lot of flooding.... :evil: it would have helped if the timing was close too.. :roll:

Any 12 volt source will power the HEI, BUT; Whatever you use, it MUST stay live 12v even with the key in the 'start' position. It took me an hour chasing wires to figure this out after I got my rx7 back (sold it two years ago to a friend, bought it back last summer) in non-running condition. Every time I cranked it, the 12v to the ignition cut off, so I got no spark and a lot of flooding.... :evil: it would have helped if the timing was close too.. :roll:

LOL

I could see that happening to me. Had to have been frustrating.