HybridZ

I need a better clutch!!

Are you sure it's releasing fully? No oil on it? How much power and what kind of traciton are you getting?

The F-body forums ought to be full of folks with advice on this. I'm actually going to try running the used stock clutch on my car. I figure with the lesser weight and iffy traction I should be fine. I'm puzzled that you're having trouble with the Centerforce - it's a decent street clutch...

I purchased my LT1 & T56 tranny from High Performance Salvage in TX and asked this very same questions about the clutch. Mike, at HPS said the stock clutch works just fine in a stock 3,500 lb. Camaro or Firebird and did not see any problems using it in my conversion. He also pointed out that my car is at least 800lbs lighter and using smaller tires then a Camaro so this is also a plus. I asked about the Centerforce clutch and he said most definitely this is a huge upgrade from the stock unit but is an expense he did not feel was necessary for "me". Rob, who is a member here at HybridZ (and a good friend) runs a ZZ4 /T56 combo with the Duel Centerforce clutch for about 3 years now with no problems whatsoever and he does not baby his car if you know what I mean. McLeod or Centerforce, I don't think it matters up to say 500 hp IMHO. You have a great clutch and I think the suggestions mentioned already hold your answer.

Danno74Z

Guest MistaFosta

Problem is that lt-1 with a procharger makes 600 horsies or so.....Needs a MASSIVE clutch...

------------------

------------------------

V-Tec This!

Mista Fosta

MistaFosta,

You are correct in that high horsepower range. From an article I read in GM HTP magazine, "One of the things that's quite fantastic is the McLeod dual disk clutch that they put in it. When I switched from 470 Hp. To 600, we had a clutch that go overpowered". This particular car has 680hp at the rear wheels running BFG Drag Radial (315/35-17) that is a big tire! The article did not mention the first clutch that was in the car. I'm assuming it was the OEM and he just trashed it. But 470HP is a lot to ask from an OEM clutch if you ask me. Darius, never said what HP range he is running so it's hard to suggest a clutch -OEM, Centerforce or McLeod. Trying to extrapolate (very subjective) what I've read I think the OEM clutch can probably handle a 20% increase in HP without too much trouble. This would put it around 350-375HP. Centerforce dual clutch up into the mid 500HP (swag) and anything over this and I would go with the Mcleod dual disk setup.

Perhaps a poll is in order of the HybridZ members and the type of clutch people are running and the HP of their engines. With over 500 members some good statistics could be compiled.

As a side note this '95 Firehawk uses the Stock T-56 transmission! Talk about a good tranny. The article did not mention torque but it has to be up there if he is running mid 10's in the quarter.

Danno

[This message has been edited by Danno74Z (edited January 31, 2001).]

Everyone on the camaroz28.com recommends the Mcleod street twin as the ultimate clutch. I think they even have a group purchase going on right now. The price was right, so I bought one with the aluminum flywheel as part of their last group purchase, but it is completely overkill for my stock, and still not installed LT1. At least it gives me room to grow, I guess.

The one thing I would change about the piece is to lighten the pressure plate via drill/mill to reduce its rotating inertia.

Room to grow! sounds like at least 2 members are going to have over 600HP V8Zs. The car I mentioned above was highly modified LT1. The list of what the guy had done to the engine is too long to list here. But lets just say he has well over 10k in the engine. As you mentioned, "completely overkill for my stock".

The McLeod twin plate, to me is a waste of money on a stock motor or one that is mildly modified. But this is just my 2 cents worth on clutches.

Peace and may the Centerforce be with you.

Danno74Z

I'd call Midway Engineering (Centerforce) and ask about power limits for that clutch. I know a lot of people in the Bowtie world HATE the Centerforce product line, and I'm not thrilled with their prices. However, Linginfelter used this clutch in his Sledgehammer Corvette, you know the one that hit well over 200MPH.... I don't think (And I could be wrong) that clutch is the problem. I'd check with Centerforce and also bleed the system per the instructions that came with the kit. Get all the air out of the line. I suspect that or misadjustment of the master cylinder is the issue.

Mike

------------------

http://hometown.aol.com/dat74z/myhomepage/auto.html

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

I guess I'm running somewhere around 600+ hp at the motor, I haven't got a chance to hit the dyno yet. My clutch has hooked up for ne around 99% of the time but after some good and fun abuse, laying rubba in third and fouth gear it did definatly slip on me. If it continues to slip I will definately be getting the mcleaod setup, where is the best-cheapest place to order one from and what is the price, that is one bad ass looking clutch. My car does not hook up at all, so i'm sure if I could nail it in second gear and hook up it would probabaly slip. I can downshift into 4th gear on the freeway and smoke the tires, but they are just 235-40-17 avs-intermediate's , I would hate to have put some huge flair's on to get some big tires, thanks for all the info guys!

I think the prices for the last group purchase were $875 for an aluminum flywheel and considerably less for steel.

I don't know the current GP price or if it is still going on.

I decided to buy the street twin for the aluminum flywheel. A standard clutch/pp/bearing/aluminum flywheel would probably cost ~$700. The second clutch and plate of the street twin would add some inertia, but for the price I paid and the added durability, I couldn't resist.