HybridZ

vg30t + pathfinder = ?

Guest HBZ81

supposedly the heads are the same between the VG33E and the VG30E(T) so I would think they would be able to bolt on. basically you'll just need to check the port shape and size and make sure the bolt holes are the same, which i bet they all are.

i have some Z31 turbo manifolds laying around so if you have some pictures or can get some measurements of the stock exhaust ports i can tell you for sure whether or not it'll line up.

i'll try to find some pictures of a 33 head. i got the vg30e engine and was thinking of swapping the vg30et engine in, but when i heard the 33 will basically drop in i figured i'd do that and try to swap the turbo and manifold from the 30et onto it

I have no idea if those manifolds will bolt on to a 3.3 liter engine, however I can tell you that even if they do you will have a quite a large list of other things to deal with. One of them being no room for the turbocharger. I am almost done with my turbo Pathfinder project and it's been a long road. PM me if you wanted some details. Feel free to check out the pics:

http://www.members.shaw.ca/icecube/PathyPipes/

Notice that those are NOT stock z31 manifolds!

What was I thinking.. no, the z31 turbo manifolds definatly will NOT fit. They may bolt to the engine, but the z31 uses a crossover that wraps around the rear of the cylinder heads. The Pathfinder engine is mounted way to close to the firewall to allow clearance for that. This is why I made a custom crossover that goes under and around the transmission. Not the best setup, but space is very limited.

my idea was to take the pathfinder engine, bolt the turbo z manifold and turbo on, and drop it into my n/a z31...

...so i guess it wont work because of space issues

my idea was to take the pathfinder engine' date=' bolt the turbo z manifold and turbo on, and drop it into my n/a z31...

...so i guess it wont work because of space issues[/quote']

Ohhhh....... well your thread name kinda had me thinking you were talking Pathfinder chassis.. LOL

I can't see any reason why that couldn't work.

It wont work in an NA unless you get a turbo xmember and turbo motor mounts. Or make custom headers with NA xmember and mounts.

Yeah that's right.. the Vg30et has the left engine mount wayy up towards the front of the engine to make room for the turbo. The alternator is also relocated to the other side, below the PS pump. Nothing seems to come easy when it comes to those z31/vg30's *sigh*

• 3 weeks later...

I have not done this conversion myself, but have read up on it. The Pathfinder VG33 NA (SOHC) Block will bolt to the original Z31 Heads and Intake manifold. The exhaust manifolds for the original Z31 supposedly line up but the VG33 exh. manifold studs may be a few mm larger in diameter.

Maybe someone on Z31.com have another Best Practices for this conversion

starting with what you need for a NA z31 -> turbo z31 conversion

(http://www.redz31.com/pages/turbo.html)

you need to work around the vg33 differences.

I bought a 2000 pathfinder VG33E with 70k on it from ebay and started getting to work. Here's a difference list to the best of memory.

1. Crank snout and crank pulley

2. oil pump' date=' oil filter, oil filter location, oil sending unit, oil filter bypass valve is missing on the block

3. Oil pan, oil pump pick up tube

4. water pump

5. lower and upper intake manifolds (duh!)

6. Thermostat housing

There are some more little stuff left behind, but the point is, you will most likely need a complete VG30ET to swap parts from or you'll have to make many annoying trips to the junkyard.

[/quote']

There are at least 2 people on z31.com with turbo vg33s, ask around and they can help you out.