HybridZ

another problem with z32tt

Hey guys I was just racing my Z and missed a gear, continued race but at the end it was making a light knocking noise starting around 2000 rpms. I know it is not the rod or rod bearings because it would have locked up on the way home. I have also checked the spark plugs for oil and they also checked fine. I can tell however that the noise is coming from the passenger side of motor. I curently have the motor pulled down and I am fixing to check the valve springs on this side. Just would like to get some other views on what could be wrong. Some one had said something about vtc, cam gear on the intake cam.

I know it is not the rod or rod bearings because it would have locked up on the way home. I have also checked the spark plugs for oil and they also checked fine. I can tell however that the noise is coming from the passenger side of motor.

It could easily be a rod/rod beaing. It wil not necessarily "lock up", but will continuously get worse and worse (louder and louder).

• 2 weeks later...

Well I missed a shift once on a raceprepped engine built specifically to be safe to 8k. Well at 7k in 3rd, I shifted into 2nd instead of 4th, and floored it! The instant I did it, I kept my foot on the gas, and stomped on the clutch. (so the engine wouldn't reverse torque as it slowed the car down) the car was ok, but I pulled the oil pan at the end of the year, and we noticed that one of my rods "walked" forward on the crank and rubbed a bit on the crank journal. We figure I hit 9k + I ran that motor for another 4 years no problem.

But in your case...a vg motor with a slight knock at 2000rpm..if it makes noise as rpm goes up?...you've got a bad rod bearing. It happened to me with one of my vg's Hard cornering onthe track, ran the oil dry for a sec, finished my lapping session with a very light ticking noise, that turned into a very loud knock on the way home... it was fine till I got off the throttle, and spun one of the rod bearings, at which point, the knocking really got noisy. (piston was now hitting cyl head too)

Sorry about your situation, but I think you need to inspect that bottom end.