HybridZ

Megasquirt has power but no led's light up?

Thumper

I have all my sensors connected to megasquirt. I know it is getting 12volts and ground. When I turn the car on all the sensors get the appropiate voltage, TPS 5v, IAT 3v, exc... The problem is when I turn the car on the led next to the db9 connection flashes for a split second. After that nothing. No light during trying to start and no solid lights. I also cannot connect to the ecu via my labtop using megatune. Any suggestions? Thanks

Update: It gets power and ground. It sends out power to all the sensors. D17 led flashes for a split second when car is turned on. No other lights light up. My new question is will the led d17 flash during cranking if I haven't load a map yet? Because I have not been able to connect my labtop to the ecu yet. It might be the labtop though that is causing the problem in communication. Also why would tapping the tps make the led light up? Thanks

Well I have tried with two different labtops and two different types of connectors one db9 to db9 and one db9 to usb and non of these work. So I think it is ms. One of the reasons I bought a preassembled unit is so that I wouldn't have to buy a stim.

I know that the blue/tach wire is receiveing a 12v signal from the distributor. I know that pin 19 is not grounded. I know that the led closest to the db9 lights up a for a split second when the car is turned on, then no lights, I know that I cannot connect to the ms box via megatune. What does this mean bad MS box or some wire I messed up? Thanks

"One of the reasons I bought a preassembled unit is so that I wouldn't have to buy a stim."

Well, now you see FIRSTHAND why most people who built their own units tell everyone to buy a Stim! It's the ONLY thing that will tell you in about 30 seconds or less, if your BOX is bad, or if it's SOMETHING ELSE! Bet you would kill about right now to KNOW...

Update: It gets power and ground. It sends out power to all the sensors. D17 led flashes for a split second when car is turned on. No other lights light up. My new question is will the led d17 flash during cranking if I haven't load a map yet? Because I have not been able to connect my labtop to the ecu yet. It might be the labtop though that is causing the problem in communication. Also why would tapping the tps make the led light up? Thanks

If your MS is wired up without using any of the LEDs to drive spark, D17 is injector pulse. The initial flash is the priming pulse. If you don't have a fuel map setup, I don't think MS will fire the injectors at all - so no flash. Just load up the default v8 setup, it should flash when cranking. What midnightzxt suggested is that you blip the throttle when it's cranking. The middle light is accel enrichment and it should turn on/off quickly.

But if you can't connect to the ecu, this is all pointless, you really need to solve that first. You might think it's wired correctly, but who knows if you can't see what the sensors are reading.

Well after much fun I have found out somethiing IS wrong with the ms box. I am sending it back tomorrow and he is going to repair it. My friend is going to let me use his ms 2.2 Only thing is I need to upgrade it from msns to msns-extra. Should be oh so much fun. ThanksI do have a problem with my input though but thats for another thread.

Just like network cables there are two types of db9 cables, if you are grabbing some that are laying around from the office or from your home PC setup. There are straight through types and crossover types. Make sure you have the right type, measure with a multi meter to verify the pinout on both ends of the cable. Megamanual should explain this, but I didn't go look. I went through about 20 cables here at work and only found 2 that were the correct style to work with megasquirt. I don't remember off hand which one is correct, check the megmanual.

when the car is on the (on) position... is the megasquirt unit supposed to have any lights on? I dont have a stim or anyone else with a megasquirt i know of around my area so i dont know what its supposed to do before cranking. My megasquirt unit is getting 12v to the wiring harness but i cant tell if its the box or if its my connection to the unit. I bought a serial cable from diyautotune.com so i know its straight thru. When i have the key on (on) the MS warmup light lights for about 3 seconds then turns off. Is this normal?

when the car is on the (on) position... is the megasquirt unit supposed to have any lights on? I dont have a stim or anyone else with a megasquirt i know of around my area so i dont know what its supposed to do before cranking. My megasquirt unit is getting 12v to the wiring harness but i cant tell if its the box or if its my connection to the unit. I bought a serial cable from diyautotune.com so i know its straight thru. When i have the key on (on) the MS warmup light lights for about 3 seconds then turns off. Is this normal?

I don't think it's normal. When I turn mine on, I get a quick blip from the injector LED showing the ecu firing the priming pulse and that's it.