HybridZ

General Questions

rudypoochris

Things i have been wondering (i know everything can be done, but please explain approx what it takes, or if it is simply not worth it):

1. Can a GM t-56 (from a camaro) be bolted up to a Ford 302?

2. Can an FWD car easily be converted to RWD or is there often no room for diff?

3. How do you find out total member count at Hybridz?

4. Are four piston calipers better than 2 piston with the sliding deal on one side?

5. How much is a stock 240z sway bar worth?

6. What are the vents everyone says the series 1 has that other Z's don't (pics please)?

7. Was the Z's 150hp rated using the old system?

8. How do the autometer electronic speedometers calibrate? (By running a measured mile?)

9. Before painting a car does the entire body need to be stripped down to metal? primer?

Thanks thats all for now :)

1. ?

2. A ton of fabrication is involved. Anything is possible !!!

3. ?

4. I beleive it is the Piston surface area that is important. We would have to verify.

5. Not much.

6. The vents on the hatch below the windows. After 72, the vents were the z sign above the 1/4 window.

7. ?

8. ?

9. No, It has to be sanded down so the new paint will stick on the old one. I f you search there are great posts about that. If you sand parts to metal, you have to use primer on those parts. If I am wrong please correct me !!!

Dayz

Answer to 2 : Not just differential you have to worry about; Some need a larger transmission tunnel to fit your custom trans.

Answer to 6 : two horizontal vents on the hatch. They are positioned lower than the glass; one side each(left and right).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-Z-Series-240Z-1971-Datsun-Nissan-240Z-series-1-Very-Nice-CA-classic_W0QQitemZ4590459287QQcategoryZ6187QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

last row of the pictures, middle of the row, you see a picture of the rear of the 240Z with the hatch? The two black slits under the hatch glass...that's what I am talking about.

9. No. If the old paint is still sticking it doesnt have to come all the way down. Some poeple will take it down regardless and some wont. Of course if the old paint is starting to flake off then its a good idea to strip it all the way down.

Also, as to priming, some primers are direct-to-metal meaning just that.. Some arent. You can use etching primers on bare metal to give you a base to spray on. As to priming over old paint, you dont have to in all situations, but I think its a good idea. You can just use a sealer, then lay the actual paint on the sealer (So the body shop guys I talked to told me) but it seems (to me atleast) a wise move to spray primer.

2. Define "easy".? And the actual amount of work depends on the car and chasis design.

Thanks for the series 1 help. I didn't ever notice that. I dislike those hatch vents but I like the lack of the pillar embrem and was thinking of covering it, didn't know it acctually vented air. Why does it vent such a small amount of air? Is it to keep the cabin somewhat fresh?

Also does anyone know number 1 I am really intrested.

Things i have been wondering (i know everything can be done' date=' but please explain approx what it takes, or if it is simply not worth it):

1. Can a GM t-56 (from a camaro) be bolted up to a Ford 302?[/quote']

Yes, but it would be easier to get a tremec 6 speed designed for a ford to bolt up :) a guy I know had one, and I've driven his 95 mustang gt with the 6 speed

2. Can an FWD car easily be converted to RWD or is there often no room for diff?

with enough money and fabrication skills anything is possible.

3. How do you find out total member count at Hybridz?

Bottom of the page, stats

4. Are four piston calipers better than 2 piston with the sliding deal on one side?

Are you talking about 2 piston floating calipers, like Ross's big brake kit? 4 piston calipers have a disadvantage, and that is weight. For a Z, the 2 piston slider will work better than the 4x4 swap

5. How much is a stock 240z sway bar worth?

0-20 bucks. I've found Zs in junkyards with 1" sway bars that I got for $15.

6. What are the vents everyone says the series 1 has that other Z's don't (pics please)?

DSCF0099.sized.jpg

regular side vents. I can't find the pic of the other vents though. THey were 2 horizontal slits right below the rear hatch window

7. Was the Z's 150hp rated using the old system?

Yes. Gross SAE rating. Averaged out to about 130hp @ crank using NET SAE, or 110@wheels

8. How do the autometer electronic speedometers calibrate? (By running a measured mile?)

2 mile marker

9. Before painting a car does the entire body need to be stripped down to metal? primer

Depends on what kind of quality you want. TO properly repaint the car, it should be stripped, etched, primered, painted, and clearcoated

the vent on the c pillar is for the air in the car to exhaust.

supposedly GM came up with this system to exchange the air in the car. enters in the cowl area and exits through vents.

on the firebirds and camaros of the 60's and 70's you will find it on the B pillar. open the door look at the post that the latch slips over when the door is closed.

above that post, is a black grille. the air exhausts out that vent ( so i have read ).

nissan used a similar system. fresh air in at the front of the car, sort like the old 55-57 chevys.

on the 69 through 71 (?) the designers won over the engineers and the interior air exited out the vents on the lift gate. due to air flow and pressure differences, the exhaust gases from the engine would sometimes enter those vents and enter the passenger cabin.

to eliminate this problem, nissan engineers better sealed the tail lights, lift gate, bumper bolts, side marker lights, where body seams came together and you guessed it, moved the vents to the c pillars.

you can eliminate those vents. car will feel a bit stuffy, smell a bit more, and take longer for defroster to clear the windshield, but no real harm will come from it.

oh that's as long as you have the rear sealed to keep exhaust gas out. by not pressurizing the cabin ( as little as it may ) there is a possibilty of creating a situation where upon it is easier for exhaust gases to to enter the cabin from the rear of the z.

i know when window is down, i get a hell of a lot more ( my eyes are burning ) exhaust in the cabin than when windows are up. could be that the fresh air intake pressurizes the cabin more than i thought.

of course Poo, i might be wrong.

p.s. how'd your bro's movie do ???

wayne

I believe that it is to balance the air pressure inside and outside of the car. For example when you shut your door fast, the extra amount of air as to go outside of the car...those vents are used for this purpose.This is from an old old thread.

that and they're necessary for your front vents to work, I plugged mine with insulation not knowing and all of a sudden I got no flow through the vent hatches in the front.

the vent on the c pillar is for the air in the car to exhaust.

supposedly GM came up with this system to exchange the air in the car. enters in the cowl area and exits through vents.

on the firebirds and camaros of the 60's and 70's you will find it on the B pillar. open the door look at the post that the latch slips over when the door is closed.

above that post' date=' is a black grille. the air exhausts out that vent ( so i have read ).

nissan used a similar system. fresh air in at the front of the car, sort like the old 55-57 chevys.

on the 69 through 71 (?) the designers won over the engineers and the interior air exited out the vents on the lift gate. due to air flow and pressure differences, the exhaust gases from the engine would sometimes enter those vents and enter the passenger cabin.

to eliminate this problem, nissan engineers better sealed the tail lights, lift gate, bumper bolts, side marker lights, where body seams came together and you guessed it, moved the vents to the c pillars.

you can eliminate those vents. car will feel a bit stuffy, smell a bit more, and take longer for defroster to clear the windshield, but no real harm will come from it.

oh that's as long as you have the rear sealed to keep exhaust gas out. by not pressurizing the cabin ( as little as it may ) there is a possibilty of creating a situation where upon it is easier for exhaust gases to to enter the cabin from the rear of the z.

i know when window is down, i get a hell of a lot more ( my eyes are burning ) exhaust in the cabin than when windows are up. could be that the fresh air intake pressurizes the cabin more than i thought.

of course Poo, i might be wrong.

p.s. how'd your bro's movie do ???

wayne[/quote']

I bought a Catalytic converter, I'm installing it this weekend. No more tears!