HybridZ

z31 chassis stiffening

This is of interest to me too, the next project will be a 280ZX coupe which is very similar structurally to the Z31.

Other than repairing/strengthening any damaged existing structural parts, I'm thinking of adding an additional underbody rail from front to back under each sill/rocker panel. Extending as far foward as practical by angling in towards the front X member.

Together with this there would be a half roll cage, a good thing to have with a hatchback body design. By way of additional parts, the idea is to tie all the extras in with the existing structural components and suspension points. Eg, two of the half cage floor mounting points would tie in with the proposed sill rails.

I love this sort of stuff, what ideas do you have Alf?

well at first i was planning on a subframe conector of some sort like my 69 camaro has, but after looking at my z that really isn't posible. on the 300zx(i dont know if the 280zx is the same) there is a stamped steel brace that runs laterally under the transmition tunnel towards the rear of the car. my plan is to make some type of tubular replacement and tie the bar into the rear suspension mounting points on the outward sides of the car. then i plan on making strut tower braces for the front and back. i might make some kind of x-brace under the front seats. my car has a small block chevy in it so i figure it probably neads some structural stiffening.

That should work Alf, my priority is to strengthen the chassis between the front and rear suspension points, there is no one way to do that of course.

Strut bars would be included, as part of the half cage at the back and a U brace back to the firewall at the front. If you don't get much response here you may like to try z31 com here http://www.z31.com/ Have been some recent on topic discussions there with pics.