HybridZ

Goldenrod

johnc

Here's an article in SI about the beginning of the resoration.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/racing/more/05/10/goldenrod/

When the car went over on display at the Goodwood festival a few years ago, the dock workers dropped it and the chassis cracked in several places. There is a LOT of work that needs to be done.

What I did on a Saturday in November. It also looks like I'm going to be doing some of the restoration work on this car.

John, do you know exactly what you'll be working on and can you reveal that? Details, man, details!

Very cool...now if you can only take it up and down the blvd a few times...

Davy

John, do you know exactly what you'll be working on and can you reveal that? Details, man, details!

Very cool...now if you can only take it up and down the blvd a few times...

I talked with John Baechtel, the person overseeing the restoration, about repairing the suspension upper and lower control arms and rebuilding the shifter. Nothing is definate yet.

Right now, unfortunately, a static display restoration is planned. The original hemi engines were taken back by Chrysler at the end of 1965 and given to drag racers. The engine blocks in the photos are just that, blocks and heads only, no internals. John has approached Chrysler about supplying 4 crate hemi engines but Chrysler declined.

• 3 weeks later...

Remember, this thing weighed 8,500 lbs and was designed to run on a perfectly flat and level surface and never make a turn. Suspension travel, from looking at the shocks and springs, was maybe 2" total. Now, put this single purpose vehicle in a 1965 era trailer and drive it around the country. Its easy to see how a series of frost heaves, potholes, or the 15 miles of expansion joints on I10 around Fontana, CA could make the suspension repeatedly bottom out hard.

I like this statement off your site....

And now its time to grind down most of the welds so you can't tell any repairs were done. Seems funny that I go to all this work to make sure no one can tell I went to all this work.

Nice work so far!

Guy

• 1 month later...

Finished up the control arms and now I'm wire brushing bunches of nuts and bolts. All the bolt heads have "SUPERTANIUM ALLOY" in raised letters along the edge of the bolt heads with TV screen shaped symbol in the centers. I got curious, did some research, and found that these were SAE Grade 10 and 12 bolts used until SAE eliminated grades above 8 in 1970 due to hydrogen embrittlement failures.

They are also still available so I ordered a catalog. Supposedly these things have 200,000 psi tensile (Grade 10) and 280,000 psi tensile (Grade 12) strength. Grade 8 typically has a rating about 170,000 psi tensile.

Supposedly these things have 200,000 psi tensile (Grade 10) and 280,000 psi tensile (Grade 12) strength. Grade 8 typically has a rating about 170,000 psi tensile.

Cripes! I'm curious to know just how expensive these bolts are with ratings like that. Are they really necessary or is this just for some extreme (what isn't?) racing purpose? Also, any pics of your work???

Davy