HybridZ

LS1 & t56 for $5K

Hey why not just wait untill you can find a complete car and part is back out. That is what I am going to do becaue I do not have the cash to just buy an engine and tranny. I know for sure you will save lots of money that way....

Thats what I did. Ive still got the car in my garage and everyday that I sell a part from it the cost of my swap goes down.

I didn't need a parts car. I used a Willwood clutch cylinder, JTR stuff, and Johns cars stuff. I guess that some have the time to deal with it, but I dont have the time so I just spend my hard earned money on new and aftermarket parts to fill in the gaps. :)

Hear that. Parting out a Camaro is not really an option living in the burbs with a one car garage. Just found out the Camaro engines come out from underneath. That would be a pretty good trick in my driveway. Guess I could dig a pit in the backyard.

I don't even like the idea of Johns Cars pieces. But as a time saver I may have to reconsider.

But I would still like to find out how people found their parts cars. Might be a cheaper source of a drivetrain if I work it right.

I guess I'll be the one dissenting voice. The price seems a little high. I got my 2001 with 8k miles, all engine accessories, engine harness w/computer, air box, interior harness, steering column, gas tank, y-pipe & cats, driveshaft, and torque arm from a local yard for $3500. Maybe you could get them to throw in the gas tank and interior harness and maybe some other stuff, like the instrument cluster, for that price. If you get those items too, you'll have pretty much a plug & play swap. I've used the entire Camaro harness in my swap, and although I've had to rework some of the wire lengths, I have the complete functionality, right down to the washer bottle and horns. Maybe if you go with cash in hand they'll come down a little...

Well ebay is one source to find a salvage car...... other online searches will sometime bring up local LS1 cars that are being sold by private owners or such. It comes down to do you have the time to part the car back out or like Dale said spend that hard earned money. I am a college student so the longer cheaper way is my way...lol

The price with an auto is $600 less. They have an 02 Fbody with auto and 39K miles on auction now for BIN of $4200. So it's not like if I let this deal go I will not see another one again. So the $4k qwik240z payed is ball park. Except IIRC you have a Corvette motor which for some reason commands a good bit more.

The smart thing for me to do is wait till spring to pick one up. I need to get the Z licensed first' date=' that way the motor swap won't be an issue with the safety inspection. That should keep me busy until after the snows are over. With enough prep work over the winter I wonder if I could get one installed within their 90 warranty period.

But having that thing sitting in the garage would be a hell of a motivator....[/quote']

Mine is not a Corvette motor. It is from a 2002 Camaro SS. I do have the Corvette Fuel Rail Covers on it.

I think winter is a better time to work a deal with motor sellers. Winter is usually a slow time, especially right after Christmas. Don't wait til spring. Most people start on projects in the spring. Rules of Suppy and Demand apply here. More buyers= higher prices.

Having the motor at home is a huge motivator. I got my motor in March of 2004 and started the swap in June 2004. I was going to wait until fall to start the swap but I kept seeing the motor sitting there and couldn't wait anymore.

Wait til after Christmas and go visit the F parts guys in person and don't even mention eBay. Have cash in your pocket and offer them like $3800 and see what happens.