HybridZ

1tuffz update #2

Looks good, Just curious I saw how you attached the lines to the tank. I am assuming the lines shown coming out of the tank are the supply and return lines. did you seal the factory vents leaving only one to vent the tank. Also I am ready to complete the same work right now. Where did you get the weld in bulkheads for the -6 lines into the tank. I am assuming these are a common item but I am not sure exactly what to ask for or where to get them.

Looks good, Just curious I saw how you attached the lines to the tank. I am assuming the lines shown coming out of the tank are the supply and return lines. did you seal the factory vents leaving only one to vent the tank. Also I am ready to complete the same work right now. Where did you get the weld in bulkheads for the -6 lines into the tank. I am assuming these are a common item but I am not sure exactly what to ask for or where to get them.

we tig welded the steel -6 male fittings to a small square steel plate then welded it to the tank, then pressure tested it. it's a 76 280 tank that is now in my 73 240. i had to find longer 'j' bolts for the tank straps as the tank seems a bit 'taller'. i ran the tank vent lines to the vapor tank [had to plug either 1 or 2 lines on that tank] and i'm keeping my fingers crossed that it all works ok.

i purchased all the brake & fuel lines & fittings from earls in california, tom neely was great. when i told him what i needed he started rattling off part numbers-everything has worked great. http://anplumbing.com/

the clutch flex line came yesterday! last night i put the tranny & eng back together and tomorrow morning will slip her in the hole!

one think i noticed is that the sensor/plug on the pass side [there are 4 casting protrusions that surround this sensor and appear to be there for protection] to of the t56 is very close [when mounted in the car] to the trans tunnel and appears that when i connect the wire harness to it i'll have a clearance problem there. anyone else see this? i tried massaging the trans tunnel but it doesn't want to move much in that area.

my thoughts are to disassemble the push in connector to gain the clearance i need.

i'll post pics on monday!

Yea, that's the backup light switch. I beat the heck out of mine and it finally gave in to reason. I also had to clearance the drivers side top by the gear shift lever for the reverse lockout. It's tight but it has never made contact after numerous full throttle runs.

had nice weather saturday and my 10 yr old son helped put the eng/trans in. i should have known something was up as it was all going too smoothly! he comes out as i was working on small stuff [that which takes the most time!] and said 'dad, something's leaking under the car'. great, i say and looking i spy drips coming from the hole between the bell housing and eng block-clutch fluid. so, now the trans needs to come out so i can figure which part of the slave cyl is leaking...

anyone pulled just the trans [t56] from their z? it looks to be not that difficult...

put the car up in the air, supported the engine with my cherry picker and pulled the tranny-wasn't as bad as i had anticipated. then found the [clutch] leak culprit-the o ring that resides at the end of the hard line which goes into the clutch slave [held in by spring steel roll pin]. of course it's a special 'square shouldered' o ring that can't be purchased separately so i ordered a new slave today should be here by friday so i can get the tranny back in and keep progressing...

figured that even though the donor car only had 20k miles on it a new clutch slave is worth the price of admission.

• 2 weeks later...

fortunately evilc came over another time to help out [last weekend my entire family was overcome by the flu and i had to put all work on hold]. we got the clutch slave in, lines attached, tranny reinstalled. driveshaft in, clutch bled [i was pleased that my custom clutch bleed line worked great] and it now has a nice firm pedal [with no leaks!]. connected heater hoses, upper and lower rad hoses, steam hose. headers on [i had my jtr sanderson's coated-swain technologies white lightning ceramic]. fluids filled-engine oil, tranny fluid, coolant. put my kirbin shifter in, adjusted the 'stops', checked the throw and it looks good. will test fit the console then get knob. jimmy z from z-tekmfg is going to turn a custom titanium knob for me. probably just go with the usual teardrop design. i've posted some new pics in my gallery, check them out when u get a chance! next, get the gauges wired and the final wiring to tie the speartech harness to factory datsun harness, add some fuel, crank her over to get pos oil press, flash pcm, hold breath and...fire in the hole! once running, i'll order the exhaust piping then off to the welder to build the exhaust.