HybridZ

Turbo Distributor????

DevilZeto

Hi there everyone, I have a simple question. I have A 77 280z im planning on making it turbo, i already have an ecu and wiring harness for that ecu (82zxt ECU). Do i need the distributor also for that year? or can i stay with my stock distributor? Thanks Guys!!!!

I'm not 100% on this but I'm almost certain the 82 has a crank angle sensor built in to the distributor. You will need that to run the ecu. Also grab the shaft/gear that goes on the oil pump because it is different where it attaches to the bottom of the distributor.

Yes, you will need an 82 or 83 distributor and oil pump shaft. Using the NA distrubtor is not good for any boosted application. T

Well I wouldn't say it wasn't good for ANY boosted application.. but it definatly won't work with THAT particular type of ecu. As for the oil shaft drive, it IS a different part but I read recently that if you drill out the star pattern from the bottom of the dizzy, n/a shaft will work.

I've run an NA distributor on a number of turbo applications (carbed, stock turbo ECU, Megasquirt), and you end up having to retard the timing so much to prevent detonation, that the off boost performance becomes very sluggish. So on any boosted application where you want good performance, use the turbo electronics, or an aftermarket ECU with direct fired ignition.

There are tons of them out there. All have good and bad points but all do the basic engine management function well. The Megasquirt is a great option if you have some wiring skills. Haltech, Electromotive, and Wolf 3D are the ones I've worked with, and all are excellent.

• 3 months later...

My eyes were opened this past trip to Europe where I found the Euro Turbo cars DO NOT have ECCS! They have a special pneumatic retard cannister on the stock plain-jane ZX Dizzy, and run what looks to be an N/A style ECU.

They also do not have the Air Regulation valve for idle speed, just a conventional idle speed bypass, a factory blocked EGR, with a downpipe with no casting for the heat riser nor O2 sensor!

Rated at 200hp, they also have a straight pipe with no catalyst...

Lucky bastards!

You can change the drive assembly on the bottom of the distributor to mate with the earlier simple slot drive, but you will have some timing scatter fro the increased lash there---not what I would do.

E-Bay usually has this kind of stuff in abundance.

My eyes were opened this past trip to Europe where I found the Euro Turbo cars DO NOT have ECCS! They have a special pneumatic retard cannister on the stock plain-jane ZX Dizzy' date=' and run what looks to be an N/A style ECU.

They also do not have the Air Regulation valve for idle speed, just a conventional idle speed bypass, a factory blocked EGR, with a downpipe with no casting for the heat riser nor O2 sensor!

Rated at 200hp, they also have a straight pipe with no catalyst...

Lucky bastards!

You can change the drive assembly on the bottom of the distributor to mate with the earlier simple slot drive, but you will have some timing scatter fro the increased lash there---not what I would do.

E-Bay usually has this kind of stuff in abundance.[/quote']

Ahh California and their catalytic converters...bummer...what do you guys do with all of that clean air anyway?