HybridZ

E-bay weatherstrip?

Venture

Is this kit any good?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/COMPLETE-WEATHERSTRIP-KIT-FOR-DATSUN-280Z-260Z-240Z_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33685QQitemZ8019117907QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

or should I spend the extra money and get the MSA kit?

http://www.zcarparts.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=SWR01A

The E-bay kit seems pretty complete, but I don't want to end up with some cheap junk. Is there a cheaper place to get the Precision kit?

My personal experience tells me to go with the MSA or Nissan. I bought that one... on ebay...thinking it was a deal.

Good price. But, I have real issues with the doors closing. I am in the rebuild stage of a complete frame up resto. and I still don't have the door latches on but I installed the door frames to see how they fit. Ahhhh... how about 2" to 3' inches from closing then you really have to start pushing to get it within a 1/2". I have some real concerns. The rear hatch latches are installed and adjusted.. it is 1/4'' off from flush.

A friend of mine who owns Awesome Z in Houston (a repair/resto shop) said "they do not use the stuff in the green bags". They use Nissan. Nissan for everything is over $500.00 but they fit. His words.

Discouraging...I know. That's been my experiece to date. I can't wait to get the glass guys out for the installation of the windshield and rear hatch glass.

I am going to work with it the best I can at this stage... My hope is with the new door latches and striker it will compress enough over time to close completely flush.

Guys, we have been over this one many times on this site and many other Z Car related sites. All the Precision (the green bag) weather-stripping fits and works very well everywhere EXCEPT the door seals. That's not a bad deal for the whole kit but just plan on buying the real Nissan door seals.

Many of us have been telling Precision for years that their door seals are too stiff and too large. They keep saying that they are going to change them but they never have. If you install them you will be slamming doors forever - IF you can even get them to close!

Guys, we have been over this one many times on this site and many other Z Car related sites. All the Precision (the green bag) weather-stripping fits and works very well everywhere EXCEPT the door seals. That's not a bad deal for the whole kit but just plan on buying the real Nissan door seals.

We HAVE been over this a bunch of times. I would again like to relate my story about Nissan door seals. Bought them for $180 each IIRC. Had to SLAM the doors to get them to close. Driver's side came apart, took it back to the dealer, their explanation was that the seal probably sat on a shelf for the last 20 years. They replaced the seal, new one was just as tight. It also came apart a few years later. So I had a $360 experiment in crappy overpriced factory weatherstripping.

I'd suggest the Precision kit with some JC Whitney / McMaster Carr weatherstripping for the doors. Search and I think Tim240z has provided the door weatherstrip part numbers from http://www.mcmaster.com several times in the past.

I also use the mcmaster weatherstrip and it seems to be working great and the price cannot be beat. But you won't get any points at car shows if you are going for the full restoration points.

LOL!!

Gosh, you're right. I'll have to nix the aftermarket paint job, the fiberglass flares, 16" rims, aftermarket suspension, V8, Camaro T5, the AutoMeter gauges, the Flofit seats, the....

....after I remove all that stuff and replace it with "OEM" equipment, I'll have finally arrived. :lmao:

Davy

Has anyone tried adjusting the door hinges?

Ooooo. That would be too logical for me to attempt. The McMaster weatherstrip I have in my Z and the doors are no too difficult to close. However, SLIGHTLY repositioning the door hinges might do the trick so they feel like a 'new' 240Z. I may have to do that next summer. Good idea.

Davy

Well i have just been reading many of these weather stripping posts and surpringly I never hear anyone even mention adjusting the door hinges... I think 1/16-1/8" up front can make a big difference in feel and closeability.

BTW has anyone ever tried too intense resoration? http://www.datsunrestore.com/datsun_stuff.html

Has anyone tried adjusting the door hinges?

When I was working as a mechanic I dropped my car off at a body shop just for that reason. They screwed with it for a couple hours then told me the doors couldn't be adjusted to work with that weather stripping. And this was the best body shop in town.

When I was working as a mechanic I dropped my car off at a body shop just for that reason. They screwed with it for a couple hours then told me the doors couldn't be adjusted to work with that weather stripping. And this was the best body shop in town.

A 1/16" to 1/8" set of washers under the hinges might do it, or even better a plate. But still it is a patch, the bottom line is the stripping doesn't fit. I will check out the door hinge system next time I am up at the Z's home.

A 1/16" to 1/8" set of washers under the hinges might do it, or even better a plate. But still it is a patch, the bottom line is the stripping doesn't fit. I will check out the door hinge system next time I am up at the Z's home.

Won't that then make the door skin no longer align with the fender?

Won't that then make the door skin no longer align with the fender?

Depends, the fender can be adjusted a litttle. But yes, it would most likely be 1/16" to maybe 1/8" off. Thats why it is a bandaid. But if your doors are already inward 1/16 to and eigth might as well kill two birds with one stone. :icon44:

I've used the Precision Weatherstrip on the last two cars with the same results (hard to close doors) but you can't beat the price even if you don't use the door seals.

I bought my last kit on ebay for about $185?? from this guy "truckpartsaz@cox.net" - he is a great guy to deal with! We had agreed to use USPS to ship as I am in Canada and UPS brokerage is way to expensive but his shipper screwed up and sent it UPS anyway. I when it arrived and I owed UPS an additional $50 or so I contacted him and he automatically sent me back the difference - no questions asked.

Just wanted to let everyone know what a really good guy he is if you are looking for weatherstrip.

There is a distinct advantage to using the 77-78 280Z factory door weatherstrip on a 240 or 260 (70-76 Z's). The 280Z weather-stripping doesn't require the separate welting, as it comes already bonded to this weatherstrip. Of course it will not look "original" but it is much easier to install and much more forgiving of different tolerances.

It may not seem like much, but an added 1/32" or so that the plastic welting takes up, can cause a lot of door slamming. I think you will find that these factory seals will work on 99% of the cars out there.

From what I understand, most early Z cars had at least one shim under each door hinge. However, sometimes the factory would add one under one or both hinges to get the gaps within Nissan production specs. On rare occasions they may remove a shim for the same reason. However, after 25 - 30 years things can and will change. Hinge pins and door strikers wear plus cars get involved in various situations that causes the body to flex - especially an accident.

If you don't have at least one shim between each of your door hinges and the body there is a good chance that they where removed. You might try to add them back in as long as the front edge of the door doesn't stick out too far. BTW, sometimes you can loosen the bottom of the front fender and move it out to at least meet the door at the bottom. Moving the top of the fender can be done but is more complicated and my result in an undesirable gap between the cowl panel, A pillar and the fender.

Hope this helps.

• 4 months later...
We HAVE been over this a bunch of times. I would again like to relate my story about Nissan door seals. Bought them for $180 each IIRC. Had to SLAM the doors to get them to close. Driver's side came apart' date=' took it back to the dealer, their explanation was that the seal probably sat on a shelf for the last 20 years. They replaced the seal, new one was just as tight. It also came apart a few years later. So I had a $360 experiment in crappy overpriced factory weatherstripping.

I'd suggest the Precision kit with some JC Whitney / McMaster Carr weatherstripping for the doors. Search and I think Tim240z has provided the door weatherstrip part numbers from www.mcmaster.com several times in the past.

My doors are rattling and I would like to get some new door weatherstripping. I can't find the post that was mentioned in this thread with part numbers to use. Can someone point me in the right direction?