HybridZ

refinishing my air horns (they are rusty)

JaysZ

what would be the cheaper method.. polishing + anodizing red or chroming them? i could try sanding them down myself too... what do you guys think?

i dont know the condition of the metal but i do know air horns are no where near the size of a wheel but i sanded my Zx 6 spokes with like a 150 then a 250 then a 400 or some numbers like that, basically rough, medium, then fine paper and then applied alot of mothers polish and elbow greases and got a mirror finish, i bet you could be parting your hair in those air horns in no time if you went the sand/polish method. Oh yea and its like a $10.00 project

sparks, i once hand polished a large sheet of copper that i cut a design into with a jewelers saw the same way you did and it wasn't so bad, but it was important to sand in one direction. if i hand polish them, how much would it be to anodize them red? whats the going rate on labor to polish things like this anyway? i would like to redo my valve cover and K&N filter covers as well

hey austin, thanks for chiming in. i believe they are stainless. the rust isn't too bad, mainly surface rust. there isnt any coating at all on them... either chrome or paint, which i'm thankful for since its one less thing to scrape off. i would snap a few pics but my digital cam is out of commission right now. the filter covers are chromed and are pitted, if that is the correct term.

curious, would anodizing prevent future rust from forming? did anyone ever figure out what the best way to "black chrome" them was?

thanks again

yes stainless does rust, it is just alot more resistent to it. different grades of stainless are more prone to rusting then others. IF the horns were subjected to a very wet damp environment for a long time they may have gotten a bit of surface rust.

if they are like this i would try and buff them up with a little buffing wheel on an electric drill and some compound, that should do the trick.

Crues -- do you think powder would dull out the sound of the air horn? This would be the best option. I do powder too, it looks great, is tough, and last a long time, but its pretty thick so i dunno what effect this might have.

its only about 3-5 mils thick, so it shouldn't dull the sound. (of course, if you go with a candy 2 stage, its a little thicker, but I still think it won't change the sound) For black chrome, go with columbia coatings candy black. Its pretty nice. Black chrome when applied thin, and deep transparent black when applied thick. This is thick on a G35 intake plenum. You can see the depth in it.

candyblackplenum.jpg

black chrome would be awesome to have the K&N filter covers and valve cover done in! does any of you guys offer that color? i wonder if dead roman is still around, since he lives kinda sorta near me. and would powdercoating the horns make them difficult to fit back into the slots? they aren't too tight, but adding some thickness may chip or scratch it off as i try to force it in :D

I think 2003z and myself use that specific powder. The candy black personally I haven't shot yet,. but quite a few other candies..The black chrome powder I have shot (its a little different). I need to try some of the candy black out.

If its done correctly, the powder coated parts will not chip very easily.. Even bolt heads will hold up pretty good to the abuse.

I think 2003z and myself use that specific powder. The candy black personally I haven't shot yet' date='. but quite a few other candies..The black chrome powder I have shot (its a little different). I need to try some of the candy black out.

If its done correctly, the powder coated parts will not chip very easily.. Even bolt heads will hold up pretty good to the abuse.[/quote']Cruez, this definitely isn't like eastwoods smoke chrome. Its like other candy's and pretty nice to work with, but like all candy colors, a little more difficuly on larger parts, unless you go real light or real dark.

As for chipping, its very durable, I just shot some lime green I got on aluminum foil the other night, to compare it to my car. I used my wife's reynolds release foil, and the cured product slid off of it. I took the small piece (about a nickel's size, I just poured a little powder on the foil) and you can bend it back and forth all day without it cracking.

As for a tight fit, it isn't gonna make the horns that much bigger.

Not gonna get in a bidding war' date=' but I can do your valve cover and horns in the candy black, as above for 50 plus shipping.

Mike[/quote']

Ditto on the non bidding war.. I think most of us on this site are here to help other hybridz'ers out, not to inadvertantly cause any harsh feelings.

As for chipping' date=' its very durable, I just shot some lime green I got on aluminum foil the other night, to compare it to my car. I used my wife's reynolds release foil, and the cured product slid off of it. I took the small piece (about a nickel's size, I just poured a little powder on the foil) and you can bend it back and forth all day without it cracking.[/quote']

I tested a small 1/8 aluminum plate coating in a two stage candy blue... with a ball peen hammer.. after quite a few blows the coating never chipped. So it is indeed much more durable than any liquid paint would be.

hey guys, that sounds like a great deal, i'll check your site and send the stuff over as soon as i can. i didnt mean to start a bid war or anything, i apologize if thats what it sounded like. i'm a little stoked to know that the finish i want is available, but before i do the horns, i would like to research what length horns and taper would yield the best results.

quick question, do the parts have to be polished before they can get the "black chrome" treatment? this was necessary for anodizing from what i understand. thanks again,

jason