HybridZ

Engine management?

1FASTKINGCAB

I have been thinking long & hard on this. I currently run a Greddy emanage which up untill now has worked fine for me, but I am to the point now where I am going to step up the turbo(s) and fuel shooting for 600-700WHP by this time next year.

I was lightly thinking megasquirt, But I would feel much safer going with an off the shelf Fuel/spark unit.

I need to stay under $2K in parts. And I don't like the AEM system

so far I am thinking;

HKS F-CON-V

Haltech E6X

Motech M6OO?

I was also thinking about running a Haltech F10X (fuel only) and the factory ECM W/ a MSD box to do the timing.

Any input?

thanks,

if do go Haltech E6x, make sure you get the new version II. I heard the original one had problems. HKS got locked ECU can't be tuned without an athourize dealer or have someone who knows how to unlocked it. Motec is crazy high$$$.

I persnally have Haltech E6K and pretty happy with it. Old school but once you get use to the DOS base software, it's easy to tune

We're running a Holley COmmander 950 with a Wideband piggyback on Jim M's car. Tuning is the issue with any of these standalones... Once you get beyond that learning curve, it depends on the interface you like. I've got TWO COmmander 950s now for my track car, so I'm gonna stick with them for now. FWIW they work in 4, 6 & 8 cylinder configurations.

MOTEC stuff is stupid expensive. HKS's FCON seems to be like most of the others out there... What about FAST? Supposedly that was the latest and greatest to go up against the AEM unit...

Mike

Guest Loose_Screws

Plenty of successes (and some failures) with the MegaSquirt system. If you are methodical and don't take shortcuts, I think it is a easy to use. I am biased of course because I am running megasquirt, but I also helped Yo2001 do his e6k.

FAST system is nice.. was sorta wow'ed with how easy it was to use also.

megasquirt i do like also.

Microtech im a BIG fan of, liking it more and more.

Haltech i like also.

theres tons of good ones out there, all depends on price for most ppl though.

mike

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Aguyandaredhead

It's a little more money, but I think Haltech E11v2. If you ever upgrade motor componets you will have what is needed. It is one of the most well rounded systems out there. I also like the Microtech as well.. I like the Halwin software better though.

Just my .02

Jeff

I'm still researching my new ECM, but I'm leaning towards the unit from AEM. This has to be the most adjustable system on the market, Period. The price for the system I would need is not cheap, but it does everything, Boost control;Fuel Mng; Nitrious; Ign timing; ect..........

I've down loaded the manual, and holy S%!T, indepth would be an understatement.

I'm still researching my new ECM, but I'm leaning towards the unit from AEM. This has to be the most adjustable system on the market, Period.

not true.. althought a great unit MegaSquirt is way more tunable..

mike

not true.. althought a great unit MegaSquirt is way more tunable..

mike

:confused: Based on what?

I guess I haven't researched it that thoroughly, but at a glance, the MegaSquirt appears to be on about the same level as my TEC-II, except with 12x12 maps (before anybody gets all mad, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that).

The AEM has an almost ridiculous amount of tuneable parameters, unless they have grossly simplified it lately.

Yehh the AEM is a bit scary at first glance, and when you look into it further it gets even scarier.LOL

I figure that by the time I'm ready to get a new ECM I would have read the manual a few times. If I still have problems, there is a tuner shop localy that is AEM trained.

whats the best bang for your buck for the management systems?

Best bang for your buck is probably megasquirt. Second to that I think is SDS. It does not have all the features of some of the EMS systems, but for a beginner (like me) because it is less complex I will supposedly get the engine to a higher state of tune.

One of the biggest factors for me choosing SDS was it was cheap, easy to understand and install, and does not require soldering or troubleshooting electronic assemblies (I are mechanic).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bastaad525

Why hasn't anyone mentioned SDS?

that seemed to be the 'bang for the buck' standalone of choice until MS started gaining in popularity. Seems you can do a full SDS setup for less than $1000. Controls fuel and ignition.

That was what I was planning on back when I was still planning on stuff and before I found out about megasquirt.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned SDS?

that seemed to be the 'bang for the buck' standalone of choice until MS started gaining in popularity. Seems you can do a full SDS setup for less than $1000. Controls fuel and ignition.

That was what I was planning on back when I was still planning on stuff and before I found out about megasquirt.

Street legality (smog)? won't pass with it installed ( no E.O. number for it), but if the car is 30 years or older then doesn't need smog test (Cali smog law).