HybridZ

Mechanical cruise control in a 240Z...

SuperKid

I was browsing on ebay and noticed a guy selling the choke mechanism, but it was one with a cruise control mechanism also. When I saw this, I was kind of surpirsed because I had no idea the 240Z's had a cruise control option. (I'm assuming it's an option because I've never seen, nor heard of, cruise control in a 240Z until then.) Well, I was wondering if there is anyone here that has cruise control in their 240Z and what all is involved with it. I'm not asking because I want to try and put cruise in a 240Z or anything, I was just intrigued by what I saw and wanted to know more. Does anyone have any pictures of the cruise control? How does it work? What are all of the pieces that are involved in the mechanical cruise control in a Z? Thanks tor anyone that can give a little info!

BTW, here's a link to the auction that I'm reffering too: Cruise Control

I believe the "mechanical cruise control" is just that: a hand throttle and choke. Pull out the hand throttle and you can cruise mechanically. I guess one might say that a hand throttle is a mechanical cruise control. The pieces look nice and there is always something you can hook up to a cable, blue neon lights for example or maybe a kill switch for ignition or electric fuel pump.

g

the early 240's had a hand choke, and right next to the hand choke lever in the center console is another slot for a manual idle level. I have always wondered what that slot was for or when it was actually used, because when I bought it my 12/70 240 has the slot with no lever. The choke lever has two cables hooked to it; one for the choke blade and a second that steps up the idle speed as the choke is applied.

Would be interesting to hear from some of the guys with earlier 240's to see if they had a separate fast idle lever.

Maybe zcarnut would know.

The very early 240Z’s had a hand throttle lever next to the choke lever. It operated a cable that was connected to the top of the accelerator pedal. It was not a cruise control which is much more complicated (speed control via feedback, brake switch cutout, etc.).

It’s purpose is just to raise the idle speed for faster engine warmup. A lot of 1960's and early ‘70's European cars had a throttle lever. I even had one on my 1975 Fiat X19.

Nissan removed the throttle lever in sometime early 1970 due to possible legal litigation but the slot remained in the console until the 1972 console redesign. It’s interesting to note that the early 1970 owners manuals had pieces of paper glued over any reference to the throttle lever.

My Feb 1970 240Z did not have the throttle lever but I got a NOS one on eBay a few years ago for only $200. I have seen them go for over $400 since then(!)

As usual, any questions about early Z cars are best answered at the Classic Z Car website forums:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19094&highlight=hand+throttle

and:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10229&highlight=hand+throttle

I had both a 73 240Z and a 77 280Z that both had cruise control on them also. Both worked and looked the same. They where mounted along the driverside of the engine bay. You had to have a second speedo cable one went from the transmission to the cruise control unit and the second went from the cruise control to the speedo. I believe it had a small 4 pin electrical (its been 20 years so I am not sure on the connector right now). The blinker metal rod was replaced/ stripped of the knob end and this plastic piece slid over the end and the wires where tie wrapped with two or three tie wraps. Out cruise control came the throttle adjustment portion which had a flat slotted end on it. This was mounted to the same location as each of the stock throttle positions but I believe one was on the other side of the mounting area. either way it pulled from the same pivot location for both those cars. It is a veary simple unit and the speedo cables would need to be replaced every few years because they should have been mounted with a little angle to them because they would basically cause like a kink near the control unit and with the exhaust heat it would fail. I did find out it was a dealer add on with one of the cars because I had the original purchase order and it showed on there (77 280Z). I would like to find another one of these units and have tried but the dealers don't know what they where or how to get them and most Z's did not come with them. I just got lucky with 2 out of 14 Z's that I have had. They where basically all mechanical since they where running constantly as the transmission would spin and the electronic part was simply to turn it on or off and set cruise. If I remember right there was no resume on them. I hope that helps