HybridZ

Rear Suspension Clarifications

I used to think the same thing, and it's a popular enough notion that it is something of an internet legend at this point. I proved myself wrong when I sat down and measured mine which came from a 280, and they were the same length as the ones johnc measured. Take a picture if you find one that isn't. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I don't think I am.

Here's a link for more info: http://www.betamotorsports.com/benchracing/index.html

Click that then go to R200 Handling Issues.

Rudypoochris,

The circlip being discussed is more of a circular spring clip that is on the end of the splined stub shaft that's inserted into the diff. The circlip stays on the shaft and compresses into a groove when the shaft is inserted and then expands when the shaft is all the way in. Don't try to remove this clip or you'll ruin it.

Hope this helps.

Wheelman

I used to think the same thing' date=' and it's a popular enough notion that it is something of an internet legend at this point. I proved myself wrong when I sat down and measured mine which came from a 280, and they were the same length as the ones johnc measured. Take a picture if you find one that isn't. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I don't think I am.

Here's a link for more info: http://www.betamotorsports.com/benchracing/index.html

Click that then go to R200 Handling Issues.[/quote']

Jon is correct, the half-shafts for the R200 are the same length. The betamotorsport link suggest removing 1" to prevent binding, when the half-shaft gets perpendicular to the differential (the shortest it will get). I've also modified an R200 half-shaft for my 240, with an R200 differential, but based on all my calculations I removed only .500". No binding occurs with my mod. As far as disassembling a half-shaft, its not difficult but as mentioned DO NOT loose any of the internal parts (NLA).

With out undoing the circlip at all? Wouldn't that damage the clip? Is the clip accesable from inside the diff housing or inside the carrier. I love this site, thanks for the responses

DON'T try to remove the Circlip from the shaft. You will destroy it if you try. Just pop the shaft out with the clip inplace.:twak: