HybridZ

Ipod Nano problems

660Z

Anyone have problems with thier ipod?

My company gave everyone one because of the good year we`ve had. So I`ve had mine for 2 days, worked great!!! the sound is unbelievable!!! Anyway had it charging on the computer and it falls 12 inches face down off of the PC tower and hasn`t worked since...Not a hard fall either I think a feather would have fallen harder.

I`ve tried everything to get it working again...It`s just DOA just makes clicking noises and the screen has no info just a black bar across it.

These are made with teenagers in mind right? And a 1 foot fall scrambles it up? If I had acually bought it I would be pissed that it broke this fast and is this fragile.

Then I read about people acually trying to break it and can`t....I thing what did it in was a drop from a building. Before that they were throwing it out of cars...one guy ran it though the washing machine..and it work fine!!!

Hopefully I`ll find out monday if I can get another one.

Isn`t technology great!!

Mark

Unfortunately, my experience with Ipod's has been less than stellar also. I am using a Creative product now, and have plans to never buy an Ipod.

Sorry to hear about your problems, but I guess I am not surprised. They really should concentrate more on reliability and ruggedness instead of style and size. They have gotten them so small, now just make them more robust.

Good luck with yours!

Joshua

contact apple computer or dealer.

appears that they are replacing broken nanos under warranty.

breakage from dropping and scratched screens are the biggest issues.

article i read, says if you hold the center button down for 20 seconds it may reset it.

apple is working on a carrying/protective case.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/09/28/technology/personaltech/ipod_nano/

chris' date='

iff'n u mean me.

nope.

25 yrs with ma bell. climbing poles, hanging wire.

while installing lines at one of apple's bandley bldgs, steve jobs called me an a hole inches from my face.

he later said he was sorry, shook my hand said he thought i was someone else.[/quote']

LOL, but nope I ment 660z, does he work for Genetech, b/c my brother does and got a Nano from them. Did pac bell merge with sbc, if so how did that affect you?

"rudypoochris: You wouldn't happen to work for Genentech would you? "

Nope sorry I work for Rohm and Haas, we make the polishing pads used to make the semiconductors in computers. They gave us the ipods to show us that we`re more then just the PC market.

I have tried the rebooting (several times) but no good the thing is shot. I just rebooted one that had a frozen screen and it worked like it should.

Mark

"rudypoochris: You wouldn't happen to work for Genentech would you? "

Nope sorry I work for Rohm and Haas' date=' we make the polishing pads used to make the semiconductors in computers. They gave us the ipods to show us that we`re more then just the PC market.

I have tried the rebooting (several times) but no good the thing is shot. I just rebooted one that had a frozen screen and it worked like it should.

Mark[/quote']

LOL what a wonderful introduction to the non-pc market!

Yea, I thought about that while I was typing it, but Apple designed the engineering for the ipod. Our pads are used by 95% of the market world wide. If it has a chip in it chances are it was polished with our pad. It`s pretty amazing to see how a chip is made, especally today there`s so many layers of chemical pathways in something thinner then your finger nail or even hair. They easily fit over 1000+ chips onto a disk the size of a CD. Flatness is measured in 1-2 microns difference maybe smaller now, it`s been a few years since I learned about it.

Mark

I have a 40GB 3rd gen and have had 0 problems with it...multiple drops, partial submersion, 160+ degrees...it takes it all. I do have a bit of a problem with the battery life, but apparently they have fixed that with the newest generations.

Im probably going to splurge and pick up new one this summer, but damn I am so afraid of breaking it or scratching it...its a really nice bit of engineering but it just looks so fragile compared to mine.

I have a 40GB 3rd gen and have had 0 problems with it...multiple drops' date=' partial submersion, 160+ degrees...it takes it all. I do have a bit of a problem with the battery life, but apparently they have fixed that with the newest generations.

Im probably going to splurge and pick up new one this summer, but damn I am so afraid of breaking it or scratching it...its a really nice bit of engineering but it just looks so fragile compared to mine.[/quote']get one of the silicone jackets and it will protect it. $20 at target for the one I got for my nano.