HybridZ

Race Driving vs Street Driving

johnc

Katman, There was a discussion on another forum just last week concerning people wanting to become instructors ONLY for the free track time... I think a lot of the poor instruction some are getting is just that. If you've never coached a team, managed a team, taught a group in a classroom or work environment, and done it well, then how will you be able to relate the physics behind mass in motion on a racetrack? :shock: Lots of crappy instructors. You have to get with the guys who really want to teach! :2thumbs:

Mike :cool:

I would have to say that instructing at the track is my most rewarding time I spend there. It is great to extract smoothness and confidence from any driver, from the grandmother in a Miata to a certain dentist in a fire breathing V8 Z Car.

Over the past four years I have been lucky enough to have an average of four days a month on track at VIR various other tracks in the Southeast. Most of the time has been in a student's car.

Communicating with a student at speed that is spending his/her first time at the track can be a real hoot most of the time. Only a couple of times has it been a chore.

There are some instructors out there that just do it to get track time. They seem to be the ones who don't impart much information to the student. Then wonders why on Sunday morning the student is driving way over their ability with the "I've got it dicked syndrome" that comes from sleeping on all of their mistakes from the previous day.

Anyway I am sure that if all instructors were the same they would all be the way we would not want them. Quiet and selfish.

When I was getting ready to write this post and thinking about great times at the track one time came to mind while re-reading Katman's post.

Back in 1982 or so he was driving at Road Atlanta in the Walter Mitty Historic races with his blue Z Car. I was watching from inside of the track right at the bottom of the dip. (before the track was ruined) He was chasing a well driven 928. Each lap he was getting closer and closer. The cars were under get compression right in the bottom of the dip running at max revs. Right now I couldn't tell you if Katman made the pass, but it was the concentrated chase that was the impressive part.

See you guys at VIR in a few short weeks.

Merry Christmas,

Alan

OMG! Thanks for the kind words, I had no idea you were there. That was my first of a dozen+ Z's, and the car used as a template to write the first set of Atlanta Region rules for Improved Touring GT (ITGT preceeded ITS). Ahhh, if I only knew then what I know now....

Merry Christmas to all.

Dr. Sideways is one of the few instructors I have had that I LOVE to have in the car with me. He knows the track and knows how to teach the skills I don't have. I still laugh at the thought of him in my car saying gas gas gas and me looking over at him and saying, Alan, that is all it's got. What a hoot!

I still laugh at the thought of him in my car saying gas gas gas and me looking over at him and saying, Alan, that is all it's got. What a hoot!

I had a similar experience with a great instructor when I was running Roebling Road a couple of years ago. Instead of gas gas gas his was go go go. I remeber exiting turn two and hearing that go go go and me telling him I was on the floor. His response was basically "OK good". He pushed me hard and we had a great time!