HybridZ

Spare tyre well - who needs it?

Boy from Oz

I am starting on a 240Z - 250 GTO project and would like to have the exhausts exiting on either side, at the rear. To do this I am considering removing the spare tyre well. I have not had a flat tyre for years (famous last words) and figure that I could probably get away with a can of pressure pack puncture repair stuff it I did. I could just throw a spare in for the yearly registration inspections. Any thoughts?

I could also fit a custom made alumium fuel tank.

Guest Grenade300

you're having the same delima as me, I want duel exhaust, but I on the other hand I am a magnet for flat tires. So, my thought is to cut out the spate tire well and move it over about 3 to 4 inches over, then you could move the fuel tank over with it. As with anything, that seems easy in theory but may involve more work than I thought.

edit: this would leave enough room for duel exhaust, however you would need to use smaller diameter mufflers.

You just remove the spare tire well out and just put the spare in the trunk (above the panel). It should have straps.

A custom/racing gas tank sound good, but if I were to install one I would have to as low as possible to keep the center of gravity down, maybe put a shield on there to protect the lines. Just a suggestion.

I am doing along the same idea, i cut out the spare tire, put new floor across, so that i can run dual exhaust out both sides. i put in a new gas tank out of a 69 mustang actually bc it has a flat top and the center top mount filler, bc i am always running a center fill gas cap. I have to do a lot more to finish it but when i get my rear panel done i can take some pictures. Need to update you guys anyways.