HybridZ

Cowl rust pictures, what to do?

JMortensen

Thanks John. The back was pretty much done before I even got the rotisserie going. That was stupid. It was a serious PITA to lay on my back under the car with hot metal dripping 6" from my head. I got tired of it and that's why I finally decided to do the rotisserie. Having done a little on the spit and quite a bit on the jackstands I can say for sure that NOBODY SHOULD STITCH THEIR Z WITHOUT A ROTISSERIE!!! I'm about ready to start on the front end. Just as soon as the driver's side rocker is done I can start wire wheeling the seams and dive in to the front. No more seam sealer. YAY!!!

Thanks guys. Yes, I did pretty much the whole rear subframe from underneath. I did something which kinda halfway worked and did a lot of the bottom seams from the top. In some areas that worked really well, and in some... well not so good. But a lot HAS to be done from the bottom. Finally one day I was going out to the garage and I pretty much decided that I wasn't going to do one more frickin weld from the bottom so I bought the engine stands and made the rotisserie. I would NEVER try and stitch a car from the bottom again. Way too much of a PITA.

Welding the cowl area was pretty surreal. I had the car upside down. I was sitting on the leading edge of the roof with my legs sticking out the windshield hole, and leaning forward to reach the cowl. That's kind of a weird feeling when you realize what you're actually doing... :) The rotisserie doesn't make it EASY, but it makes it so much EASIER.

I've taken a couple days off and I'm going on vacation too, but I've pretty much got the front outside the engine compartment ready to weld. When that's done I'll go inside the engine compartment. Then stitching will be DONE. At that point it's back to rust fixin. I think I'm going to leave the Zero Rust and the seam sealer for last. The car just doesn't seem to be rusting in the garage, and I figure if I'm going to spray some paint in there I might as well wait until I can do the WHOLE chassis, which at this rate might be sooner rather than later.

• 1 month later...

That is some nice seam work with the wire feed welder... I have 2 S-30s that have exactly the same problem you are describing.... I fixed one of them by sand blasting the cowl area from above and welding in patches....pain in the butt...

I think that the best way to get it fixed permanently is to cut a hole in the firewall right in front of the "snorkel box"... you can remove the rain cover by simply drilling the spot welds... that should provide good access.