HybridZ

240Z widebody Sketch

Drftn280zxt

Another view of the third design.

240Zwidebody5.jpg

I kinda messed up on the wheels' date=' they look to angled :oops::roll:[/quote']

I like the side skirts on this one! I'm not a big fan of smoothed in parts, which is why I like the ZG flares and Japanese GT cars, bolted on. But these skirts look good! Keep it coming!

Are you planning on bring the back of the front fender even with the original body line? My idea is to have them stay wide and have ducts for the air in the fenders to escape. Terry O's car had this I think?

Owen

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the sketches look great, there are only a few things I wonder about. The first being if you use a V8 set-up those hood ducts may not work out so well and would there be some chance to work in a ram air duct in the center where the hood bulges up in the front. Also, on the rear wing maybe similar to what they used on the GTS Viper would be a good solution. I have been trying to do similar stuff but putting into a 3D cad package. So if anyone out there has very good dimensions of the Z I could fairly easily turn it into a 3D cad model that you could rapid prototype and get the touchy feel perspective. Just an idea.

Robert

Actually I am going twin turbo on the one I am working and I really like the general hood shape of the stock Z, but it has always been missing something. I have been toying with the idea to crate a forward facing intake duct, most would call it ram air, but since I am using turbo's that kind of defeats the ram portion but does allow for a very nice cool air coming in from the front/top of the hood. I am planning to put the entire body of the Z in Pro/ENGINEER (if I can get it close enough to true surface wise) and then I can play around with all kinds of body modifications and get a real 3D perspective. once I have it made I will let anyone that wants to play with the shapes and modify it so they can really see if it is going to work. There are some very good artists in this group as can be seen from the art work and if any of you out there has good dimensions on body skin parts for the Z, please send them through. I am planning to have the flares made of sheetmetal from the models I create in the software.

With respect to what I was thinking about a ram air type of hood was to make the front part of the hood bulge have two openings with a thin piece of sheetmetal remaining between the openings so it would almost look like nose openings in a way. After that I would build a collector box that could feed into most applications, so others could copy it easily and fit it to what their needs are. Maybe you can picture what it looks like and I have a feeling with your artistic ways you probably could.

I definitly like the flare style you have going there and I think that would look really sharp on the Z's. Keep it up and keep going. I really hope you make them.

Ahh, twin turbos...my original plan before I sold the engine and trans! I was gonna either V-mount or use two separate ICs mounted horizontally. What they call an H-mount.

Your nose hole idea has also been done. One by datsunaan (sp?) and another member, can't remember the name but do a search on "custom hood vents".

In the end, it's all what you want, who cares what others say. Make it and be proud! Keep us posted too!

Owen

My intention is to have twin turboes in the future. Although I have a slightly different idea with the intercooling portion. I am thinking either bring the two hot pipes into one before the intercooler, or have an intercooler with two inlets and one outlet. Either way just use one Big A$$ intercooler for both turboes.

Thanks again for the design input.

About the ram air "nose job" here is a link showing a car that already has it.

Nose Job 280zxt