HybridZ

240Z widebody Sketch

Drftn280zxt

Like always please comment. The intention with this drawing was the same as the 280zx, four inches wider in the rear, two in the front (on each side). Plus the rear "flare" "bleeds" into the door to give a nice smooth transition (just like the 280zx sketches).

240Zwidebody.jpg

sorry it is just the one. I'll get right to the rear view ASAP though since I know you guys want it :wink:.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good, but I think you might have the dimensions off a bit in the front. The nose looks a bit to tall. Try reducing the space between the wheel well lip & the top of the fender. I like the touch with the JDM mirrors.

The wing, I don't know. Not my taste, a little ricer IMO. How about a nice BRE style lip wing. Or if you like that style wing, bring it down to just a few inches off the hatch.

Now if only you could get someone to make your kits.

I like it a lot. The front air dams usually make the front end look really tall with that style (turns out that way with my drawings as well). I agree with everyone else about the wing, I think it could look really good if brought in closer to the rear hatch. Something about the wing just doesn't flow quite right, seems like its fighting a lot of the body lines. It looks good, but the rear flare I'd almost make it "squat" a little bit more like a porsche flare kinda like this.

main.jpg

All in all great work, now I just have to learn how to put in on the car...

Tyson

I like the rear but i cant stand the front end. Looks like alot of these ricers out there, the civics with the huge front ends with gaping holes everywhere, way way way way too agressive. I love classic smooth flowing lines though. Just my 2 cents, I know they are just sketches but i think the design is way to radical for most people.

I guess a way to put it is when modifying my car i want to go for a smooth elegant style like alot of older european sports cars, not something out of batman, or a comic book.

Anyway keep up the good work, I like your 280zx sketches, hope to see somehting materialize there as some type of good body kit is needed for those cars, isnt much out there.

I'd expand on what 240hoke said and say it's to radical for most "Z" people.

BUT! I think if you could produce a kit like that you'd fill a hole in the market. Nobody is going for the new age agressive look on the S30 on a production level. This could be why many ricers don't even know or care what a Z is.

I personally would rather see only 2 vents on each side of the hood and angle more, but that's just me. I like the look of the front kit/valance but I think it could be brought up a bit. It looks too "show queen" and not "track queen". Doesn't mean I don't like the look, just not the functionality part of it. Looks like there isn't much more than 2 inches of clearence there.

The bumper looks out of place, but I say that about 90% of Zs. The problem with the wing is that if you lower it you have to lower it alot to still be able to see.I think it location might be able to be brought down and inch or so, but it's the shape that might need to change. I'm all for the GT looking wing for that look, but if it were just a little smaller it would really change the way the back is precieved I think.

I don't know if I like how the door still curves in so much before the kit. If it were me I'd add some girth there to flow into the side skirt better.

These are all little gripes, and I don't even own a S30! So don't listen to me. I just wanted to give you what you want (and what I want for my renders).

As always, keep it up!

I like the rear but i cant stand the front end.

Ha, I'm just the opposite. I like the whole thing really, but I'm not too big on high rear wings on old Z cars. I like the sketch---it is an artist's conception, not true-to-spec dimensionally, but that does not matter. You have conveyed the image well. Keep up the good work!

Davy

oOo... Fixed alot with this one, but it's different enough to be a completelly different design. (it's more different than the new extige is from the elise, and they're doing great as a comapany ;) )

I must say the new front makes the bumper work. The less agressive side makes my door issue dissapear.

I really like the side intakes on the front. They could be a bit wider but for me everything with Zs need to be wider, as I'm not a fan of thier narrow look.

Hood looks better, but I think it's just the difference from the front valance.

It actually looks streetable on right height now. I know concept pictures don't have to look like that and even chip foose designes his concept art with that slammed look, but that gives you a good idea on how that's going to look when it's moving.

I personally think the wing could look more angled and nascar looking. I'd like to see a side profile shot to get a real idea of where you're going with it, but I think even if you lower the spoiler/wing it's still gotta maintain that agressive look the hood creates.

I'm of the philosophy that the back end of the car should parody the front. Some cars look great from the rear, but you see the front and it doesn't seem to match and it ruins it. This is my biggest beef with some of the new dodge cars. They look great from the front (even if I think they do look like recycled looks from thier other models) but the back end just looks like every other car on the road.

The elise is perfrect in this to my likeing. REAL agressive hood, fallowed by articulate sharp angles in the rear.

Thumbs up :rockon:

This is my biggest beef with some of the new dodge cars. They look great from the front (even if I think they do look like recycled looks from thier other models) but the back end just looks like every other car on the road.

Thumbs up :rockon:

LOL, i know exactly what you're talking about. i was driving behind a chrager today, and i was thinking.. "what is that, an intrepid? why did they paint the trunk black?" then i passed it, looked back...oooOOooo...

i like the second one a lot better, it looks a lot more like a traditionally modded s30, with a modern-ish widebody. lookin good.

although i've wondered what that style of airdam would look like with small round halo driving lights like the MSA type 3 instead of ducts. maybe it could be an option or something. and the turnsignals could be eliminated too.

the dual headlight element looks kinda busy imho...

Nice work. :) I think those bonnet vents would pretty tricky to pull off. I preferred the first front myself, but I like airflow, good for everything. :D If you've got that much air going into it on the outsides I reckon you should add some vents just behind the front wheel for the heated air to get back out again.

oh and can you add a side exhaust exit just in front of the rear wheel?

And the front doesn't look flares at all. :)

Dave

i thought the big problem with s30's aerodynamics was that too much air was coming into the engine bay.

Only if it has no way of getting out again. Thats what the vents in the bonnet and behind the front wheels are for. That and a full length tray on the front spoiler should see it a little tidier. I would've thought anyway, I'm no aerodynamicist.

Dave

As far as the first sketch, refer to my sig for my opinion on that. The second one looks much better, though. It manages to change the appearance of the car a lot without making it reek of rice. The enormous, towering wing in the first one really turned me off, and in the second one there is still too much open space on the front for my taste. Also, the mesh that covers the open spaces conjures images of a ricer from my high school who cut out and spray-painted some chicken wire for the for the same purpose on his civic. If you draw another one maybe put an IC in there and take out some of the mesh. I'll be looking forward to the next revision! -Mike

second one is much better! When I said i liked the back i forgot to mention without the wing lol. A big wing on a z would be worhtless and serve more purpose, when you switched to the little i guess we could saw bre style spoiler it completely change the look of the car. Your attention is draw towards the huge flowing haunches and the roofline of the car which the big wing ruins. To me the z car is about the roofline, quarter windows, and the big sugar scoop headlights.

try redrawing it with the front valance picked up more, not on the sides towards the wheels but in the middle. The way it is now it looks like the center of the valance it shoveling dirt because it is definitly lower then the ground.