HybridZ

2.170 " I.D. threaded coilover sleeves source

The late 260 and 280 Z first generation require an inside diameter of 2.170 " Lee Waldmiller http://www.heldmotorsports.com/ has these 2.170" threded coilover adjusting sleeves in 5" length for $16.95. He makes suspensions for the Pontiac Fiero kit cars. I ordered 4 sleeves this morning

Email: leewald@comcast.net

Phone: 616-893-1433

Jo.....that is just for the sleeve that FITS the 280 strut tube Lee Heldmiller is actually selling the sleeves for less than the list price at where he bought the entire stock.He may be able to put tigether a Z coilover kit from his inventory. I have been sourcing the proper size sleeves like a blood hound for this last year. Adjusting nuts nuts are easily found and available with set screws.Modern Motorsports has the best angled set screw that will not mar the sleeve threads Besides about 3 vendors known to Hybrid Z members. I cannot find any others for this sleeve.... and for some reason my e-mail inquiries about selling individual coilover parts to me...just never got answered or returnned. These sleeves are 5 inches long.....Now pay attention. You relocate the new spring perch below the OEM bottom spring perch with the strut cartridge and gland nut locked in and weld the new spring perch where it takes advantage of the gland nut tightened fully which also snugs the sleeve .. and if that is not enuff silicone will secure the sleeve in place. with 6.5 inches of sleeve you have enough adjustment to interchange different length coilovers (10 -12 inch) From the Z vendor ..you get a 3 inch sleeve ..unless u pay more. my little undersized private has more length than that 3 inch pee wee.

You relocate the new spring perch below the OEM bottom spring perch with the strut cartridge and gland nut locked in and weld the new spring perch where it takes advantage of the gland nut tightened fully which also snugs the sleeve

Personally I would not add to the torque requirement for gland nut tightening by having it contact the threaded sleeve. Its important that the gland nut contact the insert and tighten it down into the strut tube.

Maybe cut a 1/4" length out of a 2" radiator hose and slip it between the gland nut and threaded tube after adjusting the wled-on ring for the threaded sleeve down 1/8". The rad hose will crush against the threaded sleeve and not affect gland nut tightening.

My sleeves have been loose for years. Never been a problem. I even changed ride height twice a month for about 5 years. Drive to the autox, lower the car. Race, then raise the car back up, then drive home. All it takes is another hand to hold onto the collar to keep it from rotating while you're adjusting the perch.

This might sound a bit stupid on my part, but I also have NEVER EVER used the set screw on my perch. I have the older GC setup which uses a screw that pushes straight on the threads to keep it from rotating. Didn't want to do that, so I just left it loose. You know what, they never moved. Not even a little. And I checked twice a month for 5 years.

I also didn't preload my springs, FWIW.

Guest JAMIE T

The spring perches I have from Stock Car Products don't even have a locking feature. I think they are Bilstein as are the threaded sleeves, which BTW are too small for the 240Z struts so I had to machine the ID slightly to fit the 240Z tube. The original sleeves I bought fit fine, I don't recall the manufacturer though.

Here are the coilover sleeves and nuts by A1 Racing http://www.a1racing.com/index.asp?PageAction=ADVSEARCH&Page=1&txtSearchAllWords=&txtSearchExactPhrase=coil+over+sleeve&txtSearchWithOneOfTheWords=&txtSearchWithoutTheWords=&lngLookinCategoryID=0&txtSortOrder=1&intResults=50&btnSearch=Search&AdvSearchAction=GOFETCH with all the 2.170 sleeves now in the possession of Lee Heldmiller.. The sleeves are 5 inch length not the 6.5", I have been reporting. (I have number dyslexia). The hose space buffer is a good idea by JohnC. There is a a smaller inside diameter 2.100" sleeve available from A! Racing but this still requires boring out to accomdate the 280 strut tube. You could possibly hone it out with a cylinder hone and a 2 inch drum sander but you can buy the right size from Heldmiller for less.

What Jon said. I leave mine loose as well. On my threaded adjusting rings (nuts), I've got two, that are separated by a large O-ring placed between them. When the spring height adjusment has been made using the top ring, the ring bottom ring is screwed up against the bottom of the top ring, which squeezes the O-ring against the threaded tube and against each ring. I locks it all in place very well (works much like a lock ring for a nut).

• 2 weeks later...

Recieved the 2.170 " sleeves today. These sleeves are 5 inches in length (shrunk 1 1/2 inch from A1 Catalog page to my door) Here is a photo of the sleeves with used acme thread nuts and a lower spring perch courtesy of a flat steel washer with a 3 inch O.D. and a 2 1/8 inch ID enlarged 1/32" to 2 5/32".. The sleeves are very tight fit on the 280 Z strut tube. I used a scotch brite disc attached to an air grinder to polish the strut tube for allowance of the sleeve fit. Apparenrly when the threads for the gland nut were machined, the outside diameter of the strut tube was work enlarged slightly.............http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/larryjohnson97438/detail?.dir=/8223&.dnm=59d6.jpg&.src=ph