HybridZ

It's almost time! Half Cut or Not?

Ed260Z

OK now I have a dilemma.

I've been leaning to a R32 clip since the R33 engines alone where over $1000 more that the 32 clip. But I just found a R33 engine only for $3200 shipped.

Now what do you guys suggest get the R32 clip for around $4500 shipped or the R33 engine for $3200?

I know I could regain some of the cost of the clip by selling off some of the unused parts. Not to mention it's nice to have a reference you can look at. Is the R33 worth it? Remember I'm planning end build of 600Hp to the wheels.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK now I have a dilemma.

Now what do you guys suggest get the R32 clip for around $4500 shipped or the R33 engine for $3200?

Having bought a front clip, I,m not sure you will be better off. The amount of parts you wont use vs what you will use vs what you want on the car is the equation. If the R33 comes with loom & computer which they usually do, then I would go for the R33. After stripping all the halfcut I am now putting different turbos on, I am putting a remote cooler & filter set on, I probably cant use the brakes, I might use the radiator but it would probably be better to get a new ali one made, I'm not using the power steering, I hope to use the aircond but only the pump etc. I'm replacing the computer. So really I am only using the motor in the end. Because it is an R32 motor it is older, more k's than the R33 and I am having to get the Jun oil pump drive improvement which you will not have to with the R33. In terms of selling bits off the front clip , mine didnt have fenders, lights or any dash etc, so there isnt a huge amount to sell. My front clip was a fair bit cheaper than yours though. So if you arent going to use a lot off the front clip, which I dont believe you will do if your horsing it up, then I would go for the R33.

If you or anyone else out there does however have the 3 guage instrument set from a R32 or 33 or 34, that is something I would like, so pls let me know if you want to sell it for a reasonable price.

I think I'm going to cream in my pants a just found an R34 for only a few hundred more. I just hope I can still get my hands on it in a few weeks when I'm ready for it.

I'm glad that I've been taking my time with this swap. When I first started doing my research I could only find a few R32's, and they where big bucks for a 10-12 year old engine. And the 1 or 2 times I saw an R33 or R34 the price was just stupid high.

I guess since the demand for these engines is getting greater so is the supply.

I've only been concentrating on getting info on the R32 & 33. Can anyone tell me what improvements they made to the R34 engine?

I think I'm going to cream in my pants a just found an R34 for only a few hundred more. I just hope I can still get my hands on it in a few weeks when I'm ready for it.

I'm glad that I've been taking my time with this swap. When I first started doing my research I could only find a few R32's' date=' and they where big bucks for a 10-12 year old engine. And the 1 or 2 times I saw an R33 or R34 the price was just stupid high.

I guess since the demand for these engines is getting greater so is the supply.

I've only been concentrating on getting info on the R32 & 33. Can anyone tell me what improvements they made to the R34 engine?[/quote']

Obviously you would go for the R34 well done. Is it just an engine or a halfcut? My mate has an R33 and a R34. In fact the R33 is quicker for some reason. He has so far only put the Apexi and taken off the AFM, adjustable timing gears.

Is it just an engine or a halfcut? My mate has an R33 and a R34. In fact the R33 is quicker for some reason.

It's just the engine,tranny (AWD), ECU, & sensors. I think that this is worth the "penalty" of not having a front clip. I'll have to do a bit more head scratching, and I'm going to be spending some extra money on parts that I could have gotten off the clip. Like the factory boost control solenoid. (I was going to replace it eventually any way)

I really wanted to install the engine completely stock to begin with. This way if I have any problems I can rule out any modification that I may have done. This will be a HUGE learning point for me, as I stooped working on EFI engines over 12 years ago. Never mind try and modify them safely.

I'm almost surprised to hear that your mate's R33 is faster than his R34. I thought that the R34 was suppose to be the best out of the RB series. I know that the R32 had some issues that where corrected in the R33. I also thought that the R34 had revised turbos with Ball bearings, to help them produce more boost safely.

It's just the engine' date='tranny (AWD), ECU, & sensors. I think that this is worth the "penalty" of not having a front clip. I'll have to do a bit more head scratching, ....

I'm almost surprised to hear that your mate's R33 is faster than his R34. I thought that the R34 was suppose to be the best out of the RB series. I know that the R32 had some issues that where corrected in the R33. I also thought that the R34 had revised turbos with Ball bearings, to help them produce more boost safely.[/quote']

It does have the ball bearing turbos, but even with expert tuning with the after market computer it doesnt produce any more HP. It does handle a lot better though. The tranny you have will be a six speed so that should be worth a few bob.

• 3 weeks later...

R34 have better turbines, (steel wheel) they have better looking cam shaft covers :>. And if your talking for the same price wait for the r34 rb26 for the most obvious.... Its NEWER.

As for the flywheels they are the same but the r34 has a pull type clutch and not sure if the flywheel is the same.

the r32 rb26 i had a sr20 disc in it. (prabably what saved my rearend for so long.)

But to answer your main question ( i think) you can put a r33 flywheel on a r34 or r32 rb26 they are all the same. Im installing a rb30 auto flex plate to my rb26 for my 2 speed glide. BTW the rb20 flex plate bolts up to the rb26 also.

Here is my new dilema. I can get an R33 in a few days' date=' or get an R34 in 45 days. What to do?

Is the R34 worth the wait, and why?

Now for a stupid question; Are the RB26 & RB25 flywheel the same size?[/quote']

Yeah, R34 man, 45 days is nothing. Not like you're gonna have the car done by then anyway.

Alright 45 days it is. You know you didn't have to twist my arm. LOL.

The R34 comes with a pull type clutch' date=' Is it as simple putting in a push clutch, or is there more to it?[/quote']

From my knowledge, the flywheel of the push or pull type is the same (unless it's some kind of HKS/OS Giken/Exedy twin/tripple plate clutch which is a mystery on its own). Now if you're going with the RB25DET transmission (which by the sounds if you are), you're going to need a push type clutch (300ZX N/A 240mm). You might as well get some kind of schnazzy flywheel like a Fidanza unit anyway.

So in recap, get a new clutch that matches the tranny, and don't worry about the pull type clutch on the existing R34 since you won't be able to use it anyway, and yes, it's just as easy to swap clutches.

Keep in mind if you have the RB25DET Neo transmission (R34), that transmission uses a pull-type clutch.

the r32 rb26 i had a sr20 disc in it. (prabably what saved my rearend for so long.)

But to answer your main question ( i think) you can put a r33 flywheel on a r34 or r32 rb26 they are all the same. Im installing a rb30 auto flex plate to my rb26 for my 2 speed glide. BTW the rb20 flex plate bolts up to the rb26 also.

Stony why the SR20 clutch plate rather than a RB26?

Newer' date=' less miles, stronger turbines. If you're lucky it could be a nice VSpec II motor, who knows.

Oh yeah, 6 speed AWD tranny worth big bucks.[/quote']

Not like I'm that lucky, but how could you tell if the motor was a VSpec?