HybridZ

It's almost time! Half Cut or Not?

Ed260Z

Well I'm getting closer to actually getting my RB26DETT, But now I faced with a few problems:

1) Do I get a Half Cut or just the Engine & ECU?

The half cut will run about $1500 more than just the engine, but it is complete. (Intercooler, MAF, A/C components, Rad, ect......) I can't to go full blown just yet, and plan on keeping the engine mostly stock until I get the Chassis and Body complete. What can I use off the Half Cut, and is it worth it? I'm trying to maximize my budget, and I don't want to spend money that I don't need to yet.

2) I see way more R32's, then 33 or 34, available. I know that each proggresion got better, but do I realy need to get an R33 or better?

Any input from you guys would be appriciated.

Thanks,

Ed

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'm getting closer to actually getting my RB26DETT, But now I faced with a few problems:

1) Do I get a Half Cut or just the Engine & ECU?

The half cut will run about $1500 more than just the engine, but it is complete. (Intercooler, MAF, A/C components, Rad, ect......) I can't to go full blown just yet, and plan on keeping the engine mostly stock until I get the Chassis and Body complete. What can I use off the Half Cut, and is it worth it? I'm trying to maximize my budget, and I don't want to spend money that I don't need to yet.

2) I see way more R32's, then 33 or 34, available. I know that each proggresion got better, but do I realy need to get an R33 or better?

Any input from you guys would be appriciated.

I got an R32 halfcut & completely stripped it myself - I'm not sure you will end up using a lot of the stuff, as everyone suggests using after market computers, turbos, radiators, intercoolers etc. However what it did help me with is:

(a) I now know everything that goes with the motor - cooling system, intercooler etc, whereas if I had just got the motor and loom it all wouldnt make the same sense.

(B) I tagged all the loom and connections for hopefully easier reassembley

© I have every bolt, bracket, spring etc, which you never even know about if they dont supply with engine only situation

So money spent up front may save later if you are missing bits on the engine only scenario. I also have all the clutch system and all the braking system, so if they can be adapted, I will have more genuine Nissan GTR stuff on the car, which should match better for parts etc later

- I'm not sure you will end up using a lot of the stuff' date=' as everyone suggests using after market computers, turbos, radiators, intercoolers etc. [/quote']

I'm hoping to be able to use the stock Skyline Rad & Intercooler. The ECM will be replaced with the AEM PNP ECM eventualy, but for now I will just get it re-flashed. And the turbo's will also stay stock, for now. (They should handle 15 PSI (1bar) with no real issue.)

I also want to put A/C into my car, and the half cut will have the components that I would need, with some modification.

Guest strokerZ

I think the half cut is the way to go. When I did my first turbo conversion I got the whole donor car....that way you have everything you need and you can see where it all goes. And then you can sell what you do not use if you desire. I recouped quite a bit of my initial investment this way...Go for it!!

The stock intercooler is a pretty good piece. It is certainly good for 500 crank, approaching 600 is a bit iffy (although I'm sure someone out there has done it). Something to keep in mind though...when a friend cracked his stocker when out on a camping trip (yes, I'm serious..lol), the HKS I/C rated for 700+ HP was only about $150 US more than a stock replacement.....

How good the A/C is in that half cut is questionable.

1) R-12 system, which is reasonably expensive to refill. (Although there are a number of people who have successfully retrofitted the system for R-134a)

2) The compressors and expansion tanks both are NOTORIOUS for failing on the R32. To replace both with the Nissan factory replacements is around $700 (then see problem 1).

Stockers are good under 1.2 bar.

Radiator should be okay. RB's have a tendency to run hot. A good oil cooler is a great idea. A cooler/remote filter kit that fits on the 1991 TT 300ZX should work on an R32.

I'm hoping to be able to use the stock Skyline Rad & Intercooler. The ECM will be replaced with the AEM PNP ECM eventualy' date=' but for now I will just get it re-flashed. And the turbo's will also stay stock, for now. (They should handle 15 PSI (1bar) with no real issue.)

I also want to put A/C into my car, and the half cut will have the components that I would need, with some modification.[/quote']

Hakosuka JD talked about heat. The rb20det and RB26dett use the same radiator. I fixed this by simply buying a KOYO radiator from yahoo auctions. Paid around 50 bucks and had to have a small whole fixed. Ran much better until I sold the car. Electric fans that pull more CFM's are easy to due as well. RB's poduce some under hood heat..

. RB's have a tendency to run hot. A good oil cooler is a great idea. A cooler/remote filter kit that fits on the 1991 TT 300ZX should work on an R32.

Where can you get the cooler/remote kit from? Does the kit have a plate that replaces the filter fitting on the motor or does the kit spin on to the original filter fitting?

regards Mike

I want to build my car in stages. As it is the RB26DETT will almost triple the power that the car has now. Stage 1 will be a mostly stock swap. And as the car comes along, and money allows I will start upgrading components. The final stage will be bigger Turbos, right after the ECM.

An Oil Cooler is something that I want to do right off the bat. (Thanks for that info HakosukaJD) The Z doesn't have the best aerodynamics, and I will need to keep the air flowing freely. That's where stage 2 comes into play. It will consist of a Kaminari 3 hole front spoiler with ducting to force the air where I want it to go, and a belly pan from a 75-78 Z.

I found this company on Ebay. They aren't too far from my house so I can go look at it. This is one of the best looking half cuts that I've seen. This is an R32, but he says he has a R33 in similiar complete condition. I going to call them on Monday, and see if we can work out a deal.

gtrr32rb26detta1.jpg

So it seems like a half cut is the way to go. Now R32 or R33? I'm not planning on abusing the car, but the occasional "spirited run" will be in it's future.

Guest Aguyandaredhead

One quick note. I don't think anyone else has mentioned this yet, if they have sorry for repeating it. I bought a half cut and have since made about 1500.00 back on it selling parts off it that I would not need on Ebay. But I got brakes and even coilovers for all 4 corners for it. I also sold the ecu as I will be standalone, and the factory turbo as well as crossmember and oilpan. So keep that in mind as too leverage your aftermarket parts cost down.

Jeff